New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Using VNC from anywhere in the world?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

OK, basically I have VNC server setup on my windows machine and currently when I'm on the same network in my house I am able to use chicken of VNC to connect to it.

However I do this using the IP Address 192.168.1.3 which is my internal IP address

If i do this when I'm not on my network, for example when I'm at university would it still connect in the same way?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Nope... That's only a LOCAL address... Millions of people around the world have that exact same LOCAL address... Millions.

You need to use your actual IP address... Click this link: http://www.whatsmyip.org/
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

...and you need to have the proper ports open on your home firewall that will forward the requests to the system you are trying to control.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I made a FAQ submission for this. Check that forum (or a do a search for this topic).

Remote piloting computers across the internet
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

i used my IP Address from whatismyip.org and I typed it in to chicken of VNC and it said:

can not connect to server [IP address and Port Number]

connection refused: connect()

What does this mean? why does it display that message?
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Need to open port 5900 and try to connect that way.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

The Port is open on on my router and software based firewalls on my mac and pc but it still don't work....
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

do you have a rule in your router's firewall that forwards port 5900 to the internal IP address of the system you want to control? If not, then the router doesn't know what to do with the request.

EDIT: That's probably what you mean you did...but just making sure.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

yh I did....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mach kernel - what is it? | How to go back to Tiger from Leopard? »