New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How does Time Machine work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

When Time Machine does a backup, is it recopying everything all over again? See this view:

So is Finder being slick and showing the restored size, or is each backup really 10GB?
That is a 500GB drive. There are 13 backups, each over 10GB. But there is 453GB remaining. So only 47 GB were actually used (well actually a lot less because a 500GB is really only about 480GB usable or somthing like that).

Any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1_2.png (106.2 KB, 40 views)
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I think the Restore as of 6:16am today is 10.92gb. Finder is showing how large each Restore would have been. The backups are taking up 11.08gb of space, as you can still Restore to 12:41am if you wanted.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

OK.

But what if large files are in one BU and deleted in a next? This is confusing to me. How do we find out the actual backup sizes?
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

I tried to save some space on my external so I thought I would delete a few of the oldest back-ups, BIG MISTAKE. Apparently the first back-up made cannot be deleted or it messes up all the others. Anyway, I'll just reformat my external and start from scratch with Time Machine.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Those multiple files are actually the same data. Time machine saves the same files over again, but just the hard link, the data is the same. It's better explained on Appleinsider in the excellent article:

Road to Leopard: Time Machine - http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=3297
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

Oh it makes hard links? Thats why the file sizes display as they do... very cool.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuck on grey Apple screen | mach kernel - what is it? »