New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Wonder if I can install Leopard this way?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
gemigene

 
gemigene's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2006
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
Posts: 171
gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

gemigene is offline
Hi,

On Monday, I purchased a new iMac 24 2.4GHz with an extra GB Ram and it came preloaded with OS-10 version 10.4.10. During setup, I used the Migration assistant to move all of my contents from my older iMac 17 (Intel Core Duo) to my new machine using a Firewire cable and everything went great.

Being eligible for the $9.95 Leopard Upgrade DVD, I ordered it from Apple and it came in today.

So, I'm wondering what would be the best, problem-free installation method:
- Do a fresh install of Leopard and do the migration once again from my older iMac while Leopard is installing?
- Do a fresh Leopard install and once complete and rebooted, do the Migration?

Also, according to some of the horror stories I read on this forum (sluggishness, dock, torrents downloads and Airport issues, etc., should I go ahead and install or should I wait for 10.5.1?

Any input or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene

p.s. Love my new aluminum iMac, the 24" glossy screen is beautiful and the new keyboard is a pleasure to use.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

 
Stretch's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 13, 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 4,773
Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Stretch is offline
10.5.1 came out today, so you dont have to wait for that.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemigene View Post
Hi,

On Monday, I purchased a new iMac 24 2.4GHz with an extra GB Ram and it came preloaded with OS-10 version 10.4.10. During setup, I used the Migration assistant to move all of my contents from my older iMac 17 (Intel Core Duo) to my new machine using a Firewire cable and everything went great.

Being eligible for the $9.95 Leopard Upgrade DVD, I ordered it from Apple and it came in today.

So, I'm wondering what would be the best, problem-free installation method:
- Do a fresh install of Leopard and do the migration once again from my older iMac while Leopard is installing?
- Do a fresh Leopard install and once complete and rebooted, do the Migration?

Also, according to some of the horror stories I read on this forum (sluggishness, dock, torrents downloads and Airport issues, etc., should I go ahead and install or should I wait for 10.5.1?

Any input or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene

p.s. Love my new aluminum iMac, the 24" glossy screen is beautiful and the new keyboard is a pleasure to use.
I would do a clean install and then use the Migration Assistant to pull your applications/data & settings from the 17". This way you get a clean install (a very good thing with Leopard, from my experience).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Zedaine

 
Zedaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
Posts: 18
Zedaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 200GB HD

Zedaine is offline
Either way when you do the migration wont matter. When it asks you the first time to do the migration it has already finished installing all of the system files to your hard drive. You would be better off doing it first then you wouldn't have to make a user account. And like Stretch said, 10.5.1 came out today, so go ahead and enjoy the experience, if your one of the lucky ones to not experience the bugs
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

 
gemigene's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2006
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
Posts: 171
gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

gemigene is offline
Something I forgot to mention, on Tuesday, I also installed my Airport Extreme Base Station and this has added things to my keychain and airport configuration. Is there a way for me to copy these files to CD, install Leopard, do the Migration then overwrite the older files with the new ones I copied on the CD?

If so, does anyone want to walk me through this procedure please?

Thanks,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
Zedaine

 
Zedaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
Posts: 18
Zedaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 200GB HD

Zedaine is offline
In your utilities folder there is a keychain access application. And under the file menu you can find import and export items. Export the items and burn them onto a cd or put them on a flash drive. When you boot into your new system, you can simply import that file.
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

 
gemigene's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2006
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
Posts: 171
gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

gemigene is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedaine View Post
In your utilities folder there is a keychain access application. And under the file menu you can find import and export items. Export the items and burn them onto a cd or put them on a flash drive. When you boot into your new system, you can simply import that file.
Thanks for all the info.

A few people (on another forum) have also suggested that I do an A&I, would that be easier (and safe)?

BTW, have you installed the 10.5.1 update and does it take care of most reported issues?

Thanks,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemigene View Post
Hi,

On Monday, I purchased a new iMac 24 2.4GHz with an extra GB Ram and it came preloaded with OS-10 version 10.4.10. During setup, I used the Migration assistant to move all of my contents from my older iMac 17 (Intel Core Duo) to my new machine using a Firewire cable and everything went great.

Being eligible for the $9.95 Leopard Upgrade DVD, I ordered it from Apple and it came in today.

So, I'm wondering what would be the best, problem-free installation method:
- Do a fresh install of Leopard and do the migration once again from my older iMac while Leopard is installing?
- Do a fresh Leopard install and once complete and rebooted, do the Migration?

Also, according to some of the horror stories I read on this forum (sluggishness, dock, torrents downloads and Airport issues, etc., should I go ahead and install or should I wait for 10.5.1?

Any input or help would be appreciated.
Neither. Do an Archive and Install of 10.5. You get a new system folder and then it integrates your profile into it so you keep all your data. The update to 10.5.1.


QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

 
gemigene's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2006
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
Posts: 171
gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

gemigene is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Neither. Do an Archive and Install of 10.5. You get a new system folder and then it integrates your profile into it so you keep all your data. The update to 10.5.1.
If I understand correctly, doing an Archive and Install would do a clean install of Leopard, integrate my preferences and keychain but are my apps, docs, etc. automatically transfered to the new installation or do I have to transfer them from the archive folder?

Sorry for the stupid question but I never did an A&I before and want to be sure of the best trouble-free option at my disposal.

Cheers,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemigene View Post
If I understand correctly, doing an Archive and Install would do a clean install of Leopard, integrate my preferences and keychain but are my apps, docs, etc. automatically transfered to the new installation or do I have to transfer them from the archive folder?

Sorry for the stupid question but I never did an A&I before and want to be sure of the best trouble-free option at my disposal.

Cheers,
Gene
Not a stupid question at all.

Since your Apps, Docs & etc all reside in your profile (except for things on external drives, which are stand alone, or things you choose to keep outside your profile at root level) and your profile is integrated into the new system, the answer is yes. It even leaves your network settings and desktop picture the same.

The upside is that the old system is simply renamed "Old System" at left at root level on the drive. Everything is still there and if there is anything you may want to retrieve you can do so. You can delete the old system at your leisure. I usually wait about a week to do so.


QUOTE Thanks
Zedaine

 
Zedaine's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
Posts: 18
Zedaine is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM 200GB HD

Zedaine is offline
An archive install is a great solution as well. But a fresh install will ensure a more successful install since it will put the operating system on a clean defragged slate. If you have had the old os on there for more than half of a year I would recommend a clean install. An archive install is very quick and painless and it really does feel more like you are upgrading your old system, but its much cleaner. Wiping and migrating is easy too, it just takes a while. But if you do an archive install just remember to get rid of your old system folder when you have ensured you have everything on your new system.

Good luck.

P.S. About 10.5.1, I never really had any big issues, except for the finder burning blank disks, haven't checked to see if that works now... the finder bar at the top seems to come up really quick on startup (it came up really slow for me and I could open other apps like firefox and messenger before it would show up). Anyways, have fun with leopard. I've had good experiences with it but my luck seems to be really high. I had good luck with the beta build, the first release, and even installing the 10.5.1 update solely on battery power (Don't do it, I'm nuts, I was asking for problems and I am lucky I didn't get any. )
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

 
gemigene's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2006
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
Posts: 171
gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

gemigene is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Not a stupid question at all.

Since your Apps, Docs & etc all reside in your profile (except for things on external drives, which are stand alone, or things you choose to keep outside your profile at root level) and your profile is integrated into the new system, the answer is yes. It even leaves your network settings and desktop picture the same.

The upside is that the old system is simply renamed "Old System" at left at root level on the drive. Everything is still there and if there is anything you may want to retrieve you can do so. You can delete the old system at your leisure. I usually wait about a week to do so.
Great, I'll go that way then. A heck of a lot simpler than installing Leopard, moving my older iMac from the other room and using the migrate utility then updating everything I did when installing the router.

So, I'll do an A&I install then update to 10.5.1

Thanks,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

 
baggss's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Margaritaville
Posts: 10,309
baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

baggss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedaine View Post
An archive install is a great solution as well. But a fresh install will ensure a more successful install since it will put the operating system on a clean defragged slate. If you have had the old os on there for more than half of a year I would recommend a clean install. An archive install is very quick and painless and it really does feel more like you are upgrading your old system, but its much cleaner. Wiping and migrating is easy too, it just takes a while. But if you do an archive install just remember to get rid of your old system folder when you have ensured you have everything on your new system.
I would completely disagree with that statement. Since the OSX Disc Utility runs all it's checks prior to ANY install your disc is prepared for it ahead of time. Since OSX does a fair amount of Defragging on the fly, it's not an issue.

There is also no rush to ditch the old system folder after an A&I. I've left them around for months with no ill effects on the system other than taking up space.


QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

 
gemigene's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2006
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
Posts: 171
gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

gemigene is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedaine View Post
An archive install is a great solution as well. But a fresh install will ensure a more successful install since it will put the operating system on a clean defragged slate. If you have had the old os on there for more than half of a year I would recommend a clean install. An archive install is very quick and painless and it really does feel more like you are upgrading your old system, but its much cleaner. Wiping and migrating is easy too, it just takes a while. But if you do an archive install just remember to get rid of your old system folder when you have ensured you have everything on your new system.
As I mentioned, got the iMac on Monday and did the setup and migration then, I don't think there would be fragmentation.

Quote:
Good luck.
LOL! Thanks!

Quote:
P.S. About 10.5.1, I never really had any big issues, except for the finder burning blank disks, haven't checked to see if that works now... the finder bar at the top seems to come up really quick on startup (it came up really slow for me and I could open other apps like firefox and messenger before it would show up). Anyways, have fun with leopard. I've had good experiences with it but my luck seems to be really high. I had good luck with the beta build, the first release, and even installing the 10.5.1 update solely on battery power (Don't do it, I'm nuts, I was asking for problems and I am lucky I didn't get any. )
LOL! You should have been a stuntman for all the chances you like to take.

Cheers,
Gene
QUOTE Thanks
gemigene

 
gemigene's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2006
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
Posts: 171
gemigene is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base

gemigene is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
I would completely disagree with that statement. Since the OSX Disc Utility runs all it's checks prior to ANY install your disc is prepared for it ahead of time. Since OSX does a fair amount of Defragging on the fly, it's not an issue.

There is also no rush to ditch the old system folder after an A&I. I've left them around for months with no ill effects on the system other than taking up space.
Archive and Install will be the way to go for me, the puter is new and there shouldn't be any fragmentation issues. BTW, didn't know that OS-X did defragging...

Anyways, if I run into problems, I can always go back to a clean install and migrate my stuff...

Cheers,
Gene

BTW Baggss, did you upgrade to 10.5.1? Any major improvements?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Finder: how to "snap back" to the folder point just viewing? | How do I make my applications appear in the menu bar area »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Leopard install - HELP! Del OS X - Operating System 21 03-04-2013 01:08 PM
Lost icon for shared folder on PC network after Leopard install kjarrett OS X - Operating System 0 11-11-2007 05:50 PM
Nightmare Leopard Install Zoolook OS X - Operating System 74 11-04-2007 05:14 PM
How do i import my site after leopard clean install? DRAGONGUY83 Web Design and Hosting 6 11-03-2007 05:42 AM
How To Install Apple X11 From Tiger Install Disks mac57 OS X - Apps and Games 18 06-03-2006 06:11 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?