Thread: kernal panics

nwilcox
    kernal panics
    i have had 2 "kernal panics" in the last week. my powerbook is only 2-3 weeks old. both panics occurred when i was doing little to nothing on my powerbook.

another user told me to "run checks on your Disk Permissions". how do i do this?

is there anything else i can do to make this stop happening? it's kind of scaring me...

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    I have heard a lot of people when they bought a new Mac they just reinstalled all the software and they never had any of these problems. It seems to be the default install that people have problems with

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilcox
    how do i do this?
    Finder > applications > utilities > disk utility select volume (upper left just below hard rive name) and click repair permissions (near the lower middle of the window)

Icarus
    The other day, my screen sort of faded and a black box came up that said, "hold the power button to restart your computer" and it repeated this in about 12 different languages. Did I expereince a kernal panic? (Oh, I HAD to restart the computer...there was no option involved)

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Quote Originally Posted by Icarus
    The other day, my screen sort of faded and a black box came up that said, "hold the power button to restart your computer" and it repeated this in about 12 different languages. Did I expereince a kernal panic? (Oh, I HAD to restart the computer...there was no option involved)
    Yep thats a kernel panic
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Icarus
    so how would one go about avoiding such panic attacks in the future?

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    My suggestion: keep it as clean as you can. Run crons and repair permissions once in a while even if you didn't update software

MoltenLava
    Most occurrence of kernel panic is related to hardware, such as overheating, or faulty memory.

It could result from faulty device drivers. The reason G5 suffers from instability and kernel panic is because the OS is not fully debugged with the use of new hardware.

It would NEVER result from application problems. Running cron tasks and fixing file permission will keep system up to date, but they are not going to cause problems in the kernel.

If you experienced kernel panic, the reason for that has probably nothing to do with what you were doing at that time. It's possible, but highly unlikely that what you did triggered the bug in the kernel. Consider kernel panic as a bad luck. There isn't much the users can do to avoid it.

nwilcox
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    My suggestion: keep it as clean as you can. Run crons and repair permissions once in a while even if you didn't update software

what are 'crons'...

Thread Information