New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How to format memory card for windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dorian86

dorian86 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz , 1GB RAM, 120 GB HD

Every since I installed leopard I noticed that my memory cards (either formatted with the FAT system or mac extended journaled) are unable to be read and opened on windows computers.

any suggestions? thanks
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Memory cards ??? Do you mean the HDD or external drive?

MAC uses HFS file system format. To be able to access the partition both from windows and Mac you need to format it with FAT partition. Mac doesnt recognise NTFS and windows doesnt recognise HFS
QUOTE Thanks
dorian86

I mean an external 2GB memory card stick. I have already formated my card using the FAT format option but was unable to access in on a pc computer (I tried 3 windows computers thus far).

Please advise thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I *suspect* that the partition set up is the issue here. From the point of view of Windows compatibility, it may be best to format the memory stick on Windows and just use it on your Mac.

I have had similar issues where hard drives formatted on my Mac are unreadable on my Windows and Linux systems. Linux, which has a richer set of hard drive tools than the average Windows install, was able to tell me that there was no valid partition table on the drive, and offered me the option of correcting that. Once I did, all was well.

So, the Mac may not be setting up the partition table on the device in the way Windows expects, resulting in issues for Windows when it tries to access the memory stick. My advice? Set the stick up via Windows, and then use it with both Windows and Mac as you need.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
dorian86

I never had to do this before. Do you know if this is an issue with leopard? Also, I noticed that when I delete files from an external memory card on windows that the amount of space still remains the same until I completely format it.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
lilymuriel

lilymuriel is on a distinguished road

YES, I've been frustrated over the past week too. I was convinced that I would have to throw out my SD card because of the above problem you guys are having. My macbook wasn't able to copy files into it anymore either because of the windows-formatted partition.

anyway, my fantastic fiance told me the solution:
in the APPLICATIONS folder, launch DISK UTILITY.
this program formats any drive (external/ internal) into either windows OR apple format.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorian86 View Post
I never had to do this before. Do you know if this is an issue with leopard? Also, I noticed that when I delete files from an external memory card on windows that the amount of space still remains the same until I completely format it.

Any suggestions?
When you delete files from a memory stick from within Windows, the operating system will sometimes create a recycle bin folder on the stick itself. You can check that easy enough by making sure you show all hidden files and folders from Windows and then displaying the stick in Explorer or My Computer. Emptying the recycle bin resolves the problem.

BTW, that only seems to happen on the larger memory cards or sticks.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there a program like gnome-PPP for Macs? | external hard drive »