New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How do I get my "End" key to work the way it should?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I have an Apple wireless keyboard, the old kind. It's great except in Apple applications the End key doesn't work the way it should. What it should do is take the curser to the end of a line, but in Safari, for example, it does the same function as the Page Down key. In Office applications it works correctly, but that just makes it more annoying when I naturally try to use it in an Apple app and get a totally different response.

Is there something similar to keyboard mapping in OS X where I can set the key to do what it's supposed to?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Hold down the Apple button and end button together.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Is there something similar to keyboard mapping in OS X where I can set the key to do what it's supposed to?
DoubleCommand

Quote:
DoubleCommand is software for Mac OS X (a kernel extension) that lets you remap keys, in other words change the way your keyboard works.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Thanks!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

It sounds to me like your End key is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to do on a Mac. On a PC, the End key moves the cursor to the end of the line. On a Mac, it moves it to the end of the document. Ditto for the Home key: on a PC, start of the line. On a Mac, start of the document.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

I never use the End or Home keyz ... I position the cursor just near the top of the scroll bar sliding area or just near the bottom and watch the blue scroll bar shoot up/down lightning fast! I rarely use the up/down arrows either cos they go slow .... and I'm not bothered to find out if that's customable ... I wonder if anyone uses their Home/End keys to do what they are designed to do on the Mac as opposed to on a Win-D'Oh's PC. It seems that moving the cursor to the end of the current line or beginning/end of a word is very popular a task and maybe the other function (start/end of Doc) is becoming redundant? I don't know, though, jus' wonderin' ....
QUOTE Thanks
Supox

Supox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle

I'm still confused sometimes with Home and End keys with my iMac. Having used them in PC for 18+ years leaves it marks.

I know everything about nothing, so my knowledge is limitless.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

The mac equivalents for end/home is command+right/Command+left
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Wow, I can't believe someone actually gave me negative rep for posting this question! To that person, I never said the "windows way" was the right way and the "Mac way" was the wrong way. I simply want my end key to perform the same function no matter what program I'm in. I guess I should have said "the way I want it to" instead of "the way it should", but I didn't think it was that big of an issue as to give me negative rep. I just didn't know that the End key served a different function on Macs, especially since it essentially does the same thing as the Page Down key; making it redundant. You could have simply mentioned it in a response.

I often use the End key to go to the end of a line. The biggest reason is I'm a terrible typist, so sometimes I go back in a line to fix a typo. Instead of having to lift my hand from the keyboard and use the mouse to reposition the curser, or hit the arrow key until it gets there, I like to use the end key.

I didn't realize I was coming off as a windows fanboy for asking a simple question, but I guess some Mac fanboy with a stick up his you know what felt that way. I apologize for my apparent and shameful Mac ignorance. I will sell my MBP immediately and go back to the "Windoze" world. Get over it!!!

Quote:
It sounds to me like your End key is doing EXACTLY what it is supposed to do on a Mac. On a PC, the End key moves the cursor to the end of the line. On a Mac, it moves it to the end of the document. Ditto for the Home key: on a PC, start of the line. On a Mac, start of the document.
This is a reasonable response to my message without negative rep. After reading this, I realized my misunderstanding.

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I did not and would not leave bad rep for that. However, based on the title of the thread, my first impression was that you meant it should work the same way as Windows and that anything else was wrong. I know you did not mean it that way, but the perception was certainly that.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Honestly, I wasn't 100% sure if it was acting that way because it was supposed to or if there was some issue with the keyboard.

Anyway, I know now.

QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

End key is not redundant of the PageDown key. They serve different purposes. Anyway, I'm comfortable with my Command+Left key combo...
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS X Update (Intel) 10.4.11 | Help! Something screwy with my font... »