New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How to transfer my music from one Mac to another in OSX?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeffronomicon

Jeffronomicon is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.0GHz, intel core 2

So I am about to by a new Imac and was curious about how to get the 20 gigs of music from my old Emac onto the newer Imac.

Sorry if the query has been answered a thousand times but I just don't have the time to search through this forum looking for the precise answer. I appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Well, there are a few different ways, If the eMac has FireWire then you can use that. There's also via a Network connection .... and maybe another way that I can't think of.

Have you heard of Firewire Target Disc Mode?
QUOTE Thanks
Jeffronomicon

No, I've never heard of it before. Looks like it will do the trick though. I'm not very tech savvy at all. I just know I love Macs because they always work. I've been using windows laptops for about two years because they were around. I feel like a bull in a china shop though.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

If you need any further help, there's always someone here .... as long as your Macs meet the requirements as per that Apple link, then the rest is pretty straightforward.

One thing to remember is make sure you unmount the "Guest" Mac from the "Host's" Desktop before disconnecting the cable. Pretty much as you do an iPod or External HD.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Moved thread in proper forum*
QUOTE Thanks
Jeffronomicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn__Dooley View Post
If you need any further help, there's always someone here .... as long as your Macs meet the requirements as per that Apple link, then the rest is pretty straightforward.

One thing to remember is make sure you unmount the "Guest" Mac from the "Host's" Desktop before disconnecting the cable. Pretty much as you do an iPod or External HD.
OK so I was able to do the music transfer and everything went great. I think I may have improperly ended the transaction because my emac will no longer start up. I get a message in several different languages telling me I must restart the computer. I do, and I get the same message again. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am able to get it back into TDM for file transfer though.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeffronomicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffronomicon View Post
OK so I was able to do the music transfer and everything went great. I think I may have improperly ended the transaction because my emac will no longer start up. I get a message in several different languages telling me I must restart the computer. I do, and I get the same message again. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am able to get it back into TDM for file transfer though.
Don't all jump up at once...
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffronomicon View Post
Don't all jump up at once...
This is a forum, not your dedicated personal troubleshooting assistance center.

Your machine is experiencing Kernel Panics, but I have no idea why.

QUOTE Thanks
Gish

Gish is on a distinguished road

Would it be possible to use a computer in target disk mode for Time Machine backups? How much room on the HDD would be necessary?
QUOTE Thanks
Jeffronomicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
This is a forum, not your dedicated personal troubleshooting assistance center.

Perhaps I am mistaken. I was under the distinct impression that it was. I think I read that during the sign up process.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeffronomicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish View Post
Would it be possible to use a computer in target disk mode for Time Machine backups? How much room on the HDD would be necessary?
I believe I can. It would be counter productive though since the new mac has more on it than my old one can hold.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeffronomicon

So here is a new question. I decided to pull out the old emac and see if I can't get her going again. I started her up in target disk mode because that all she can do at the moment. I then took everything off of her and emptied it into the trash of my current iMac. So now when I start her up she doesn't get the kernel panic message. She just does the little file with the blinking question mark and mac os symbol. Does anyone know if I can re-install some version of OSX and use the computer again or have I finally destroyed the old girl?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multiple folders for Wallpaper | Quicklook .wmv plugin »