New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Target disk mode install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macaholic

macaholic is on a distinguished road

I have two macs - a Macbook (OS X Tiger) and an iMac G3 (running OS 9.2.2), I recently purchased on Ebay. I have been trying for a few days to install the Tiger DVD on my iMac, using it in TDM and installing Tiger using my macbook (because the iMac ony has a CD Drive). For some reason the iMac won't mount on my macbook - it isn't even recognized. Has anybody else encountered this issue?

I'm thinking it might a faulty firewire cable issue, but I'd like to exhaust all other possibilities before I buy another one.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Even if you get the firewire to mount you'll have issues installing the PPC version from the intel Macbook, or vice versa.

You'd need to install it from another PPC mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

I gotta go one level further. You will never be able to install Tiger for a MacBook on an iMac. Here's why:
1) The MacBook has an Intel processor, the iMac has a G3 processor. The software required is totally different.
2) Your Tiger installation DVD is OEM software and will only work on that Mac exact model.
3) It is a violation of your End User Agreement and is illegal. Earthquakes, plagues and a rain of frogs would happen if you actually succeeded. Be glad you can't do it!
QUOTE Thanks
macaholic

oh wow, I had no idea the OS was different. I might see if I can get a panther installation. Regardless, I still can't get it to mount, is there a conflict between intel and ppc causing me not to be able to mount?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaholic View Post
Regardless, I still can't get it to mount, is there a conflict between intel and ppc causing me not to be able to mount?
There shouldn't be. how are you trying to get it to mount?

QUOTE Thanks
macaholic

I connect my two macs with a firewire cable. And turn on one while holding 'T'. It doesn't matter which one i put into TDM, they still won't mount.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

On either machine, go to the Finders Prefs and make sure the check boxes are all checked for mounted drives. Then try again.

QUOTE Thanks
macaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
On either machine, go to the Finders Prefs and make sure the check boxes are all checked for mounted drives. Then try again.
You mean where it says "Show mounted media on desktop"?
I don't see how that would solve anything, just because a hard drive isn't on the desktop, doesn't mean its not mounted.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I'm assuming that even if it's mounting, your just not seeing it on the desktop. That shouldn't keep you from being able to do what you want, but then again weird stuff happens some times.

I'd say it may be the cable. Maybe it's time to try another.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I know this probably isn't going to solve anything but check the iMac has FireWire 2.3.3 or later as that is the requirements ... it's not gonna hurt to check ... also the computer will not go into FireWire target disk mode if "Open Firmware Password" has been enabled.
QUOTE Thanks
dolphin01

dolphin01 is on a distinguished road

Did you follow these instructions: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

I did it with mine. I had an eMac (no DVD, just CD) and my ibook. My eMac is a G4 processor and so is my ibook. I don't know if that's where your problem is stemming from.
I had no problem. I bought Tiger retail and wanted to upgrade the eMac and it worked fine using the ibook as the host computer.
QUOTE Thanks
macaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn__Dooley View Post
I know this probably isn't going to solve anything but check the iMac has FireWire 2.3.3 or later as that is the requirements ... it's not gonna hurt to check ... also the computer will not go into FireWire target disk mode if "Open Firmware Password" has been enabled.
I got the firewire update, It most likely is the cable, I'll try another one.
Yeah I didn't take into consideration that my Tiger dvd was for an Intel core.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem using built-in speakers | TM + Menu Bar Appearance on ibook with ATI 9550 »