New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Files are suddenly Password protected??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jankind

jankind is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I'm experiencing problems with files I have been using for quite a long time.
When I try to import a file into Quark, I am getting a message that the file "Cannot be imported because it has permissions set or is password protected"

These are files I have used many times before and this suddenly started occurring out of the blue on all the Macs on our network.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther was notorious for permissions issues.

Run Apple's Disk Utility -> Repair Disk Permissions on the Mac that displays this issue, se if that doesn't fix it.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
jankind

Thanks, yes I tried that earlier today after a search on here. Didn't help any though. It's happening on four Macs running on a network. It started at the same time for all of them.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Is the problem on the same file? Who used the file last? Maybe it's the way it was saved and transferred over on the server that stores it? The owner (creator) of the file should verify the permissions on the Mac he/she created it and fix permissions via the Get Info window then put it up for grabs on the server.
QUOTE Thanks
jankind

That's the strange part. We have a server holding thousands of files on it. Some of these files we have been using for years and just out of the blue, this happens. AND it's only some of them, not all. And they come from ALL different sources and people.
QUOTE Thanks
jankind

ok I think we have isolated this problem to pdf files only. I have been able to import these pdf files into Quark without problems before. ANy reason you can think of for this sudden change?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

How are these pdf files saved?

In which application were these pdf files saved?

Or did you update the app that was used to save these pdf files?

That's what I can come with at the moment.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Did I make a huge mistake? | Desktop not showing newly-downloaded files? »