New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Shared Computers.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lewwy

Lewwy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM

Hey, I was amazed when I booted up Leopard and it automatically allowed me into the shared folder of my PC upstairs, I now watch Videos etc wirelessly through that, its almost like 250g storage .

My question is, when I try to login as a trusted user (I assume this means gain access to the rest of the files on my PC) it asks me for login details, which wouldnt be a problem if I knew which details it was after.

None of the profiles on my PC are password protected, so..

Thanks for any help !
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

Hey Lewwy,

I'm having a similar issue in the fact that I can get onto my Windows machine and get files from it but cannot put anything onto it. All I get is a "permission rights" message basically telling me that I do not have permission to put any files into my PC's 'Shared Documents' folder - odd

I also had the "logged in as guest" appear in the bar at the top of the shared computer and when I went to log in as something different (I tried my Windows username and password) it would not have it, I would click OK and it would close the input box and just say "logged in as guest" still.

I have since done a clean install of Leopard and found that, whilst my problem of not being able to place files into my PC's shared documents folder I can log in as myself (using my Windows username and password). This, however seems to have no effect on the permissions as I have said, even when logged in as me (admin on my PC) I cannot add files to it from the Mac.

This is a slight downfall as it slows down productivity when working multi-platform etc because of having to go to the PC, connect to the Mac, locate the file and drag it off that way. However, I'm optimistic that Apple will release a fix for this and other networking issues (such as Leopard not being able to talk to my NAS drive) in a future update (Please Apple! I need my networking ability's back! lol).

Chris (a happy Leopard user despite a few gripes here and there )
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I run updates on my Mac? | Lost icon for shared folder on PC network after Leopard install »