New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - where did my 9 gigs go?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wbmcalli

wbmcalli is on a distinguished road

Just upgraded from Panther to Leopard and those 8.8 required gigs are M.I.A. I anticipated that that amount of space was only needed for the upgrading process and would be open to storage after the process was completed. I'm guessing that the upgrade didn't delete old Panther files. Is this correct? What should I do? I'd like to keep things as simple as possible but would like my space back, its a commodity now-a-days on this little Powerbook G4.
Thanks
Brad
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

IIRC, that space is needed for the OS ... so you may be in trouble .. how much space do you have left?

I know there's stuff you can leave out when you upgrade which'll give you some leeway.

I can't answer your Q about the Panther files .. soz
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Leopard takes more room then Panther and even Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Don't some refer to it as "Bloat" sometimes? You would think that with the ever advancement of Technology that OS's would require less room but the opposite is true ... if you looked back to System 6, I'm sure it only occupied a few mere megabytes ....
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn__Dooley View Post
Don't some refer to it as "Bloat" sometimes? You would think that with the ever advancement of Technology that OS's would require less room but the opposite is true ... if you looked back to System 6, I'm sure it only occupied a few mere megabytes ....
There are a lot of features in Leopard which were not in Tiger and I feel that is where some of the added footprint on the Hard Drive comes from. It's not that bad unless you are out of room, then any extra space taken up is not a good thing!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post

footprint

<off-topic> this word seems to be used a lot at the moment, especially with the word "Carbon" before it .... </off>
QUOTE Thanks
wbmcalli

wbmcalli is on a distinguished road

Sure those new feature take up disk space...but 9 gigs worth in addition to the amount that the previous OS system took up...WOW. Maybe I'm just stuck in the mentality I had when I first bought this powerbook and thought that 80 gigs was going to last me for years. Is Leopard worth it? Hum second guessing that now. Maybe this is all part of the business model to get us to purchase and consume more. I'm sure that its no coincidence that the Apple store advertises a 500 gig harddrive on the same page as Leopard. Hum
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmcalli View Post
I'm sure that its no coincidence that the Apple store advertises a 500 gig harddrive on the same page as Leopard. Hum
Actually, that's there for Time Machine

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Yeah, HD sizes are getting bigger too. Everything is ... the newish Mini Cooper is not very *mini* but I digress ... with technological advances, more hard drive space is needed too .. for instance I have an iMac with 250GB of HD space and I also have a digital TV USB stick which I use to record free to air shows onto my HD. Just the other day I noticed that I had more than 100GB of shows I'd taped which left me with less than 60GB left! External HDs seem to almost be "De Rigeur" now.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I guess it really depends on the particular user. I only have a single 60GB pocket external drive that I use to transfer large files between various machines. But I have close to a terabyte of internal hard drive space in my PC. But then you have my brother, who has a 500GB external drive.

Hmm, seems as though I've proven your point in needing external drives...

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

LOL, It's taken me a while but I'm really warming to the usefulness of an external.

At the moment my backup HD is a Seagate 80GB from my PC that to use I have to unplug a secondary IDE drive from the PC, then connect up this 80GB HD and via networking I just create .dmg of my Home Directory and drag it to the Network Finder window ... not perfect, but it'll do for now ...

I could always just by a $50 IDE to USB connector or a HD enclosure ...
QUOTE Thanks
glynn

glynn is on a distinguished road

Could your lost HD space be taken by the "old System folder" delete it , its probably a few gigs worth.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do i spoof a windows drive letter in OSX? | Time Machine...dedicated drive? »