New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Can't Install Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

littlenutnut

littlenutnut is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a legitimate copy of Toontracks EZDrummer. When trying to install, I get to the "Select Destination" part it says, "You are not allowed to install the software in the default location on the volume ---. Check with the administrator of your computer."

I AM the administrator though. I have no other accounts. I also clicked "Get Info" on the application folder and set the ownership and permission to myself.

Help? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, littlenutnut.

You are running Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther, yes? I recall Panther had problems with disk permissions and if they weren't repaired once in a while, things could go a little crazy.

So, did you try repairing disk permissions? You will find Apple's Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. Launch it, select your internal hard drive icon in the left hand sidebar and click on Repair Disk Permissions. See if that wouldn't fix it for you. Let us know how it goes.

Another thing that could be wrong is that either your Mac, the OS version it is running on or both don't meet the minimum requirements needed for the application you want to install.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I think I had a similar problem installing adobe CS back in the panther days

I had to log on as root and install it under that account

then go back to my user account
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

The problem with that solution is that if you aren't Terminal-savvy or aren't careful, you can mess up your system big time by logging in as root, and I DO mean big time! I wouldn't recommend that offhand to everybody.
QUOTE Thanks
littlenutnut

littlenutnut is on a distinguished road

So I tried repairing the disk permissions. Unfortunately it didn't work. My system does meet the minimum requirements as well.

I'm not sure how to log in as root because I only have one account. And I'm sure I would screw something up.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Can you create a new user account with admin privileges and install it there and see? I dunno: either your usual account got messed up somehow or the software isn't compatible. I had a look at the website, just make doubly sure you meet the requirements.

Or maybe the installer is looking for another piece of software before it can install itself and it doesn't find it.

It's all I can think of. Maybe some else will have a better idea.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenutnut View Post
I just purchased a legitimate copy of Toontracks EZDrummer. When trying to install, I get to the "Select Destination" part it says, "You are not allowed to install the software in the default location on the volume ---. Check with the administrator of your computer."

I AM the administrator though. I have no other accounts. I also clicked "Get Info" on the application folder and set the ownership and permission to myself.

Help? Thanks!
Try the following:
  • Sometimes it is necessary to delete installation receipts of previous versions. Receipts are located in the Hard Drive - Library - Receipts folder. It will be named the same or similar to the install package name. Example: EZDrummer.pkg.

• Make sure all previous versions of the software have been removed. If you attempt to install over the top of the old software you may get that error message. Remove software first by deleting it from the applications directory and also removing the receipt from the MacintoshHD ~> Library ~> Receipts folder.

• Make sure your username has Administrative rights on the Mac. Go to Apple - Preferences - Users - You should see your username and the word "Admin" underneath. (You have already done this one)

• You may not have rights to install to specific folders into which the installer must install files.

• Try dragging each installer package from the CD to your desktop. Now run each installer separately. (Run each .pkg file)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Good call Spawn. The installer in the Receipts folder, I forgot that possibility!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I don't know what to do... | On Leopard, you like the new dock on the Bottom or on the Side? »