New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Installed Leopard...where's my iLife?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tnparker

tnparker is on a distinguished road

Problem Solved! Thanks!

I bought my macbook from university computing services, and it came with Tiger and iLife on it. I wiped my hard drive and installed Leopard from scratch. The version of Leopard I got at the tech center didn't have iLife on it, and when I tried putting my Tiger disk back in, I couldn't find the iLife stuff on there either. Shouldn't I have it on a disk somewhere? How do I get it back? Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

when you got your macbook, it should have come with 2 tiger discs, the first one was the actual OS and it's software, and the second is iLife. You have to use Disc 2.
QUOTE Thanks
tnparker

When I put in the other OSX disk it came with (it came with 3 actually, 2 OSX disks and the Apple Protection plan) the only thing it does is pull up a text file telling me that if I want to install anything I have to put in disk 1.
QUOTE Thanks
brian67

brian67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1

The first OS X disc should have a "install bundled software" or something like that, option. iLife is in there.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

If all else fails wipe and install the original OS Disks after you have done this Archive and install Leopard and you will have your old I life.
QUOTE Thanks
darkmcs

darkmcs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display

Insert Tiger cd 1

Choose "install bundled softwares"

After a few "Next" clicks, you should see "customize" icon a the bottom left

Choose all 5 iLife apps for iLife and leave the others unchecked!

There you got! Worked great for me....

MacBook Pro unibody 2nd gen (2.53C2D, 4Gb, 320Gb WD Scorpio Black), 16Gb iPod Touch, 32Gb iPhone 3Gs, 160Gb Apple TV, iPad 3G 64Gb
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

iLife is completely different from Leopard. If you buy a new mac it already comes with iLife 08. Since you bought your MB with Tiger on it, yes it has iLife in it. But when you buy Leopard it is not included. You need to buy iLife separately.

Basically leopard and iLife aren't together.

QUOTE Thanks
brian67

brian67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netty4mac View Post
You need to buy iLife separately.

This is not true. The OP just needs to install iLife from his Tiger disc's. I did it myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian67 View Post
This is not true. The OP just needs to install iLife from his Tiger disc's. I did it myself.
Sure, you can do that too.

QUOTE Thanks
tnparker

Thanks guys! I got it working! And I'm going on Monday to the tech center to get my free upgrade to iLife 08...oh how I love being a student!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian67 View Post
I think what she is saying is, iLife NEVER came with Tiger, Panther or Leopard. It comes with your Mac. It does not come with just the OS. It never has. If you buy just the OS you would have to purchase iLife separately unless your Mac came with iLife from the factory, then you do what everyone else said and insert the 1st DVD and install it from there.

To the OP, glad you got it working.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yep, Netty and trav have it right.

OS X is an entire different AND separate product from iLife. iLife is a suite of applications that comes bundled with new Macs but NEVER comes with OS X when you buy an OS upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Format-Reinstall procedure | mac os x 10.5 leopard »