New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Did I make a huge mistake?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

digital john

digital john has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook

Here is the story...

My friend who works at the apple store but does not have a mac gave me his free copy of Leopard. So I put the disc in and installed it like you would any other piece of software. So after everything installs on my iMac the software wizard notifies me that I have to restart the computer. I restart the computer and then it gets stuck at the blue screen with the beach ball and just sits there doing nothing. I have tried turning the computer off and turning it back on and the same thing keeps happening.

After I mention this to my friend he tells me how he forgot to tell me there is a certain way that I was supposed to install leopard which I didnt do. He also mentioned that I will most likely lose ALL of my data.

Can anyone help me or offer any insight on my situation. I did a search and didn't turn up much. I truly am desperate.

I should mention my system specs: iMac G5 1.8Ghz w/ 1GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance
john

QUOTE Thanks
captaindan

captaindan will become famous soon enough

I had the same thing happen to me, had to do a total install and it worked loke a charm.
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

I had the same exact thing happen to me on my MBP. I originally did an Upgrade, and was left with the Mac version of the Blue Screen of Death. I then did an Archive Install and it works fine. I didn't lose any of my data.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

same thing happened on a G5 my mistake I did not check the memory I thought it was 512 Opps its wasnt and happed the blue screen lock up I jacked up the ram and installed Panther (original OS) and did not lose and thing then reinstalled leopard and so far I have not heard any complaints form my mother (G5 was here machine) I also did a Archive Install and saddly It installed fast then on my two macbooks so Archive Install is the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

Does anyone know how I can fix my problem? I dont know how to get the computer on in order to correct the problem. I just get stuck at blue screen with a spinning beach ball.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital john View Post
Does anyone know how I can fix my problem? I dont know how to get the computer on in order to correct the problem. I just get stuck at blue screen with a spinning beach ball.
Is this a Legal copy of Leopard? Just making sure do to forum rules.

If so put in the Leopard DVD and boot holding down the C key. When you get to the install and to the screen just before the one where you choose your drive to install to, open options (or Advanced) and change it to Archive and Install. Then proceed to the drive selection and let it install. That should fix it. Has worked for many.

I have a feeling you had Application Enhancer installed which causes your issue.
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

Yes it is a legal copy. It was given directly to an apple employee who was entitled to a free copy who then past it on to me because he did not have a mac.

If I go along with the advice you gave by holding down the C key will I lose any info? I had already installed the program but I ran into my problem after the computer prompted me to restart to complete the installation.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital john View Post
Yes it is a legal copy. It was given directly to an apple employee who was entitled to a free copy who then past it on to me because he did not have a mac.

If I go along with the advice you gave by holding down the C key will I lose any info? I had already installed the program but I ran into my problem after the computer prompted me to restart to complete the installation.
When you get into the installer and the screen where you choose the hard drive, choose the drive then hit advanced and select either Upgrade or Archive and Install. Most people have had great luck with A&I. Nothing will be lost if you do either of those options. If you choose Erase and Install, everything will be erased.
QUOTE Thanks
mjager

mjager is on a distinguished road

So, you have a "free" copy from a friend who works at an Apple store and your posting here? What does your Apple store friend say about your issue?
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
When you get into the installer and the screen where you choose the hard drive, choose the drive then hit advanced and select either Upgrade or Archive and Install. Most people have had great luck with A&I. Nothing will be lost if you do either of those options. If you choose Erase and Install, everything will be erased.

Thank you very much i will give it a try.

QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjager View Post
So, you have a "free" copy from a friend who works at an Apple store and your posting here? What does your Apple store friend say about your issue?

Most apple store employees don't know a thing about Macs. Only the certified technicians "genious" have any real knowledge of the systems.
QUOTE Thanks
digital john

And not everyone who works for apple has something to do with computers. IE administration.

QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Helpful tip: Always back up important data before upgrading your os or anything else major!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Disconnection, connection, disconnection, connection.. ROAR!!!!!!! | Files are suddenly Password protected?? »