New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Time Machine Restore


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
86Apex

 
86Apex's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

86Apex is offline
I was wondering if Time Machine backs up the system as well as just user preferences and files. So lets say I restore from a Time Machine backup, is it going to be the same exact thing or a clean install?

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

 
smartyMAC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Land of Rising Sun
Posts: 337
smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

smartyMAC is offline
TM takes a backup of the settings/ preferences/ files etc. Hence after a clean install and restore of TM backup, you're machine will be up till the last backup point.
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

 
86Apex's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

86Apex is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartyMAC View Post
TM takes a backup of the settings/ preferences/ files etc. Hence after a clean install and restore of TM backup, you're machine will be up till the last backup point.
I understand that it will be the same as it was before, the only thing I'm asking is if the system itself is backed up and restored. For instance, lets say something didn't install right when someone upgrades would this be a fresh install and then add whatever files and preferences you had to it?

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

 
smartyMAC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Land of Rising Sun
Posts: 337
smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

smartyMAC is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Apex View Post
I understand that it will be the same as it was before, the only thing I'm asking is if the system itself is backed up and restored. For instance, lets say something didn't install right when someone upgrades would this be a fresh install and then add whatever files and preferences you had to it?
If you're saying that if something didnt install right and TM took a backup after that then the newly installed thing would be part of latest backup. So when you restore the TM backup, the messed up install will be back...

But there should be a way to avoid this. I have not tried it but it's worth trying... in case of messed up installs, if TM has taken backup after that install, just navigate to the TM backup folder tree and try to delete the folder dated after the date of install. That way you should have the latest backup upto a point before the faulty installation..... but need to check how safe is it to delete the backup folders abruptly..
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

 
86Apex's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

86Apex is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartyMAC View Post
If you're saying that if something didnt install right and TM took a backup after that then the newly installed thing would be part of latest backup. So when you restore the TM backup, the messed up install will be back...

But there should be a way to avoid this. I have not tried it but it's worth trying... in case of messed up installs, if TM has taken backup after that install, just navigate to the TM backup folder tree and try to delete the folder dated after the date of install. That way you should have the latest backup upto a point before the faulty installation..... but need to check how safe is it to delete the backup folders abruptly..
I understand what you mean, but what if the problem has been there from the get-go when installing Leopard. There's no way to revert to something that hasn't been, which is why I want to know if it makes a complete copy of your entire hard drive (including the whole OS), or just the user added and changed things such as preferences, applications, files and settings.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

 
86Apex's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

86Apex is offline
I take it no one knows?

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

 
theonegod's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 02, 2006
Posts: 476
theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

theonegod is offline
It is a complete but unbootable backup. You want to do an install from your Leopard CD and chooce Archive and Install. if all you are trying to do is remove a bug you have had since you installed Leopard. You shouldn't need your Time machine backup for this at all.
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

 
smartyMAC's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Land of Rising Sun
Posts: 337
smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

smartyMAC is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Apex View Post
I understand what you mean, but what if the problem has been there from the get-go when installing Leopard. There's no way to revert to something that hasn't been, which is why I want to know if it makes a complete copy of your entire hard drive (including the whole OS), or just the user added and changed things such as preferences, applications, files and settings.
The TM makes a backup of all the files on the hard drive. You have a choice to exclude specific folders. So you may choose to exclude OS related folders and cover only your specific folders. Hope this answers your question..
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

 
86Apex's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

86Apex is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
It is a complete but unbootable backup. You want to do an install from your Leopard CD and chooce Archive and Install. if all you are trying to do is remove a bug you have had since you installed Leopard. You shouldn't need your Time machine backup for this at all.
I did an A&I to begin with and am quite disturbed by the inability to be able to connect to my Airport Disk easily. Do you think another A&I would take care of this problem?

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

 
86Apex's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 03, 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 183
86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

86Apex is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartyMAC View Post
The TM makes a backup of all the files on the hard drive. You have a choice to exclude specific folders. So you may choose to exclude OS related folders and cover only your specific folders. Hope this answers your question..
Kind of. I don't mind making a backup of the system, but my question is if I were to try and restore from Time Machine, would I be able to do a clean install of the system and then add my files. I used to do this using eithe Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, but that involves a lot of drag and drop and lots of re-installation of applications, so I'm trying to avoid that.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Why is tiger more expensive, when it was succeded already? | Leopard RAM query »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Time Machine powerbook Switcher Hangout 3 11-06-2007 11:52 AM
Time Machine Restart? sLux OS X - Operating System 1 10-29-2007 07:37 PM
Time Machine - Periodically backing up the mac the8thark OS X - Operating System 3 10-26-2007 10:05 PM
Confused about Time machine eliehass OS X - Operating System 2 09-20-2007 09:00 AM
How does Time Machine work? jaywong87 Switcher Hangout 7 09-04-2007 03:32 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?