New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard is great, but needs updates... right?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FlatlanderIA

FlatlanderIA is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 1GB

I've been enjoying my upgrade from Tiger to Leopard on my MacBook. I really think it's a big move forward. However, I have had some bugs as listed below...

- desktop icons disappear but reappearing after a restart
- time machine total freeze up
- cancel and restore button of time machine interface totally disapearing
- having to log in 2 times after waking from sleeping

Anyone else having any similar 'glitches?' I did the simple install so I wouldn't have to reinstall all my apps. Maybe I'll have to do the clean sometime.

These bugs don't ruin my day, but I have had about 2 of them a day for the past week.

Tim
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

I'm not getting any of those issues. I'm not using Time Machine though. I might if I had an external hard drive... maybe two. I also did the achive & install so that might.

Only bugs I've had so far is:
- Network loses connection frequently (AirPort)
- Transfering things from my USB to my hard drive... gets a few mb over but then there's an error and I have to relaunch Finder =\

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
Neptune

Neptune is on a distinguished road

I am not getting any issues but the UI is not complete so:
-iTunes 7 scrollbars, buttons, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

I wish they'd issue an airport update. Not being able to easily switch networks is a real pain...
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

I hate the new network apps. I hate that Internet Connect is gone and my AirPort isn't showing all the networks available.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

mark.spiro is on a distinguished road

/yeah i agree. Its a MASSIVE step back in my view.
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

Though, to be fair the airport issue is all i have "wrong" with Leopard (or Leeepurd, as the hispanic guy at Future Shop called it...lol) Also I've read that soon 10.5.1 will be out and it is now already in the hands of testers, so I can put up with these minor inconveniences and wait for this new .1 update
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

Still a Happy Mac Cult member.. BUT.. They kept this OS for 5 months after the original release date for no good reason other then for a boost in sales in the 4th 1/4 of the year. In that time any of the issue that we are having should have been fixed. I have called apple on a few issues and the answers each time I felt they had no idea of what the problem was. Which is very odd being apple is normally on the ball. And Well Versed in there Programs I would cut them slack if they did not hold the OS for a late release. I dont remember this manny issues with panther and tiger maybe i have grown to expect more form apple or this time more problems effect my machines were as in the past I may have lucked out.

But with the Issues
Apple is Still Soooo much better then other option for an OS
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Do a clean install and your problems will go away. Unless you have buggy hardware that is...
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Only woes im having are with downloads on a WIFI connection - same connection, on same computer, at same distance from router on Tiger had no problems, but under Leopard it keep dropping the connection before the download completes. VERY annoying!
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

I have had Leopard installed for a few days and haven't really noticed any bugs. Mind i haven't really noticed many new things either (apart from some of the obvious)
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

I did a clean install and I AM having issues with AirPort. It used to show 7 or 8 networks (i live in an apartment) in the drop down menu and now it usually only shows 1. It's not even reliable at holding onto that network. It always seems to happen at the most inopportune times that the only networks it can find are other password protected networks, but has no recollection of my wireless router sitting 15 feet away. It has nothing to do with the router or the hardware, as it works fine in XP. It's just frustrating, but I have every confidence that they will fix it soon with an update. I'm sure I'm not the only person having these issues.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

My mouse is hung after I wake up from sleep. This never happened on my old MB with Tiger. It literally takes like 2 minutes before the touchpad is activated after sleep. Wierd.

T
QUOTE Thanks
melow71

melow71 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...

okay, they definitely need to improve spotlight as it is nowhere near as efficient as it once was. Also, safari needs some improving as well as it will sometimes load pages and then lose the connection. The issue though of not having internet connection is TOTALLY RIDICULOUS, and what if you don't use ethernet??? like when I am in Europe in Greece or Italy i use a modem connection and now what am i supposed to do?? use a secondary software option to connect to the internet through a modem connection???

thanks, but this seems a bit stupid sometimes when you really look at the bugs that are problematic...

-Griffey Jr ...the sweetest swing there ever was.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by melow71 View Post
okay, they definitely need to improve spotlight as it is nowhere near as efficient as it once was.
actually i find spotlight does its job sooooo much faster under Leopard, and others have commented on that too
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« application launch error message | We tried, hard. »