New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Pre-installed on new Macs - Reports

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LeopardGate

LeopardGate is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" 2.4 MHz iMac, 15" MacBook Pro , Mac OS 10.6.7

Most of the threads here have focussed on problems related to upgrading to Leopard from an older system.

Now that new Macs with the pre-installed OS 10.5 (Leopard) are available, please let us know how this OS is performing in your new Mac.

LeopardGate (about to purchase a new iMac and MacBook Pro)
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

Good point.

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I bought a new iMac on Leopard release night, installed Leopard that night and haven't had any problems.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

As far as I know, Leopard works perfectly on new Macs, or else they wouldn't be selling them!
Problems with upgrading an older machine are obviously more likely to occur, but there aren't that many problems with installations out there.
QUOTE Thanks
waldo2k2

waldo2k2 is on a distinguished road

[edit]wrong thread, delete please[/edit]
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

I've had to reinstall Leopard TWICE since buying my new Santa Rosa MB. When I got home with it, even though Leopard was preinstalled, bootcamp wasn't for some strange reason. I went through the archive and install process, it put bootcamp back but then iMovie was very buggy/unusable. I just did an erase and install yesterday and everything appears to be working fine now.

T
QUOTE Thanks
horkmaster

horkmaster is on a distinguished road

I bought a MBP after Leopard release... got the MBP, installed Leopard (was hoping it would actually be installed... instead it installed Tiger, then upgraded from that to Leopard... is that what they call pre-installed??? gave me bad first impression) everything was very smooth.

its great, but I didn't have the chance to experience my MBP with Tiger so I can't compare it or anything. but no blatant problems. though I am having trouble installing XP Pro with Bootcamp, idk if that's a Leopard problem or Windows problem (please PM me if you can help!)

hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
LeopardGate

horkmaster – Thanks for your input, but pre-installed Leopard means that the Mac has this operating system already installed when you take it out of the box.

Visit apple.com and you will see a large notice: “iMac”… “The ultimate all-in-one. Now shipping with Leopard.”

So I returned yesterday to our Apple Retail Store at Fashion Valley in San Diego, CA. I was hoping to buy or order a new iMac with Leopard pre-installed, but was told that they are still only selling Macs with Tiger and upon purchase I would receive Leopard on a disk for me to install.

They would not tell me when they would start selling Macs with Leopard. They did say that if I wanted one with Leopard right away, I could order it from the Apple Online Store, and it would be sent to my home.

Time is still on my side… my current machine is not current, but still functions.
I’ve made it last nine years… and can wait a little longer for a virgin Mac with Leopard.

LeopardGate (biding his time at the gate)
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

Why does it need to have leopard preinstalled? If you do an erase and install you are doing the same thing as it coming with Leopard preinstalled....

T
QUOTE Thanks
LeopardGate

Why it matters to me… and I suspect to some others also…

When I got my first “real” computer, a Gateway, nine years ago I was very happy and excited. I added peripherals and within a week I was having problems with it. At the time it was not known that the Kodak computer camera was incompatible with Windows 98. Tech support had me uninstall Internet Explorer, which led to a failure of Windows 98, which had to be re-installed. What should have been a time of joy for me became a nightmare of late night tech sessions.

I’m about to buy my first Mac and I want it to be a joyful experience and not a nightmare.
Yes, I know that things can go wrong… I just want to increase the odds that they will go right!

LeopardGate
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

Quicknote: My girlfriend bought a macbook pro on november 4th, and it came with Leopard pre-installed...

If you believe you can do something, you can.
If you don't think you can do it, you can't.
Either way, you're right!
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardGate View Post
Why it matters to me… and I suspect to some others also…

When I got my first “real” computer, a Gateway, nine years ago I was very happy and excited. I added peripherals and within a week I was having problems with it. At the time it was not known that the Kodak computer camera was incompatible with Windows 98. Tech support had me uninstall Internet Explorer, which led to a failure of Windows 98, which had to be re-installed. What should have been a time of joy for me became a nightmare of late night tech sessions.

I’m about to buy my first Mac and I want it to be a joyful experience and not a nightmare.
Yes, I know that things can go wrong… I just want to increase the odds that they will go right!

LeopardGate
First, I understand where you are coming from.

Second, I wouldn't gauge an experience with a computer in the year 2007 with an experience you had with Windows '98. Especially when it was a Gateway. I think you are over thinking your decision.

On a side note, not sure if you've seen my other posts, but anything can happen. Even when leopard is preinstalled. When I bought my brand new santa rosa macbook, the Leopard preinstall was corrupt (although everything functioned perfectly fine) because bootcamp wasn't installed (didn't look for anything else missing). I did an erase and install and everything was fine within 2 hours...

Now if you are waiting for Leopard to be updated, that's a completely different story.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You'll find though that the mac experience will be 100% better than your Gateway experience was. At least it was/is for me. Even with the reinstall...

T
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The little lock of «sharing» is always open, even if I lock it?? | Creating a stack in a dock »