New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard? What's so great?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

k57skye

k57skye is on a distinguished road

Probably going to upset alot of people here, but what exactly does Leopard really do better? Its taken up nearly 4gb of my precious hard drive space, cost me money, gave me a big head ache with a blue screen and the only thing that I can see is really useful is the Spaces thing.

Am i missing something?

Please let me know. and is there anything I can do to get my hard drive empty again?
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

To each his own. I haven't had much of a problem with Leopard and everything seems to run snappier so I'm actually quite happy with it. If you feel that Leopard isn't doing it for you then just reinstall Tiger. I'm not sure what this thread is going to accomplish and posting the same thing twice doesn't make much sense.

If by making your hard drive "empty again" you mean reverting back to Tiger, just boot from your Tiger disc and do an erase and install.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

why did you post this twice. please let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
mck_tj05

mck_tj05 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD

i benefited from a few of the features (spaces, time machine, parental controls), however i will say that i did not NEED to upgrade. i do wish that i had held off a few months, however, as i had the blue screen issue also and ended up loosing all my information and a few other bugs have come up. but overall i'm happy.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Spaces, Time Machine, Finder (quicklook and cover flow). There are several other features others will find helpful to them, but these are what I find very useful and helpful.

If you don't see anything you like in Leopard, then you shouldn't have bothered upgrading or posting this thread.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Matt Deasay

Matt Deasay will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1

I use spaces a lot, especially when I run VMWare Fusion in full screen. Quick Look is great. Just got an external drive for Time Machine now. I do like coverflow.

If you didn't know the difference between Leopard and Tiger, why did you buy it and install it?

Would recommend for others to keep Tiger if you only have 1 Mac, and it's your main computer.

There are some kinks that need to be ironed out. Definitely can't wait for 10.5.1 to come out soon.

Use the search button before you post.
QUOTE Thanks
sevenhelmet

sevenhelmet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual

I have a couple of questions.

Does the "time machine" require an external HD, or can it do its thing on a separate internal HD as well?

@Deasay: Why would you recommend sticking with Tiger for those of us with 1 mac as our primary? I'm still on the fence, could go either way...

"Luck favors the prepared"
QUOTE Thanks
Matt Deasay

Matt Deasay will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
Why would you recommend sticking with Tiger for those of us with 1 mac as our primary? I'm still on the fence, could go either way...
I would recommend this because not all applications are compatible with Leopard, yet. Also, many functions are not as smooth as they are in Tiger. There are still some hiccups and kinks to be worked out.

I personally like Leopard, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Use the search button before you post.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Posts like this really annoy me. Didn't you do any research before upgrading?

When you buy a new TV, do you say 'well it's a bit shinier and seems to have more buttons, but why did I pay for this?'

As you're clearly too lazy to do this yourself, here are the 'highlights' for the Leopards upgrade

- Many back end improvements, better thread handling, multitasking, developer tool are improved and coding should be easier. What does this mean for you, better applications, quicker development time and fewer application bugs and slowdowns in future

- New interface features. Stacks, quick view, cover flow in finder. Improved finder, improved quick search

- Improved Mail, Calendar and addressbook. Too many features to mention

- Time machine, allows newbies to back-up effectively and easily

- New APIs, core Animation and Quartz GL (previously Quartz Extreme). Means animation is part of Cocoa, better integration of animation into the Core OS, nicer looking apps, less CPU useage on animation as work is offloaded to GPU, meaning newer macs run much faster

That's it off the top of my head. You decide whether it's worth $129 or not.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
zzzuppp

zzzuppp is on a distinguished road

I don't see what's wrong with posting one's disappointment.Someone out there might be wondering whether to invest in Leopard and they need to get the full picture.
I bought it for Time Machine,Parental Controls,Quick Look and Screen Sharing mainly.
Time Machine destroyed my external HD,first time out.I'm not alone.There are lots of people posting this same news all over the web.If not destroyed,then certainly not working for many more people.
Parental Controls is pretty useless.It blocks almost every website there is including Google,Yahoo etc.
Quick Look is great,and so is Spaces.And the Cover Flow is a hit here too.
Screen Sharing is OK but it hasn't worked properly on my network-I can't actually transfer files any more.
Similarly I can no longer Network print with Leopard.Once again,look around and you'll see that hundreds of people are having printing issues with Leopard.
And plenty of Applications are broken too.There's a huge list on MacFixit.
All in all it looks from here like a rush job in time for Xmas.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzuppp View Post
I don't see what's wrong with posting one's disappointment.Someone out there might be wondering whether to invest in Leopard and they need to get the full picture.
Reading the original post does not give you a full picture of anything, it tells you the user rushed out abd bought the latest thing, and now cannot figure out what extra value it gives him/her.

I think the way things are framed give a great deal away about the real intemtions of a poster.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have none of the above issues on now 4 Macs. Family Pack.

Screen Sharing here in fact works better than Remote Desktop did with Tiger.

Only issues here are some plugins and little apps that need to be updated for Leopard. MOST that I use have been upgraded already. No one mentions all the changes to the Core of the OS. They just say Leopard is Time Machine, Spaces, ETC. There is a LOT more under the hood changes and some very intense.
QUOTE Thanks
Zanthe

Zanthe is on a distinguished road

I didn't jump into buying Leopard for all the reasons I have been reading about. Some folks are more willing to be first and suffer through the initial problems. I don't have time for that.

After reading so much about the problems I think a good time to buy Leopard would be in May '08. But that's just me. I don't begrudge the beta crowd one bit. Apple will still take my money in May, right?
QUOTE Thanks
asolo

asolo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06

I'm with Zanthe. Have one machine. Want Leopard features but have been trouble-free with Tiger for 17 months since switching. MS made me nuts with their buggy new offerings. Do not want that experience again. Willing to wait. Happy to learn opinions of early Leopard adopters but can't afford to risk joining them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard - Switch Language? | leopard and core audio help!!!!!!!!!! »