New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Major speed problem with Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stevo-m

stevo-m is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

I've read some other messages posted here about people experiencing a significant delay in startup and in launching certain applications since installing Leopard, which I suppose to some extent is to be expected, however my MacBook Pro has slowed down dramatically, from startup to shut down (both of which take at least four or five times as long as they used to). Before I installed Leopard, my computer operated really quickly and I had no lag at all. Now it takes quite a while even for Firefox to start up or for a window to open when I double click a folder's icon. Does anyone know any way I can fix this? I don't understand why it would be so slow. I only have 1GB RAM, but surely that's enough to make it run smoothly, it was certainly never an issue with OS 10.4.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo-m View Post
I've read some other messages posted here about people experiencing a significant delay in startup and in launching certain applications since installing Leopard, which I suppose to some extent is to be expected, however my MacBook Pro has slowed down dramatically, from startup to shut down (both of which take at least four or five times as long as they used to). Before I installed Leopard, my computer operated really quickly and I had no lag at all. Now it takes quite a while even for Firefox to start up or for a window to open when I double click a folder's icon. Does anyone know any way I can fix this? I don't understand why it would be so slow. I only have 1GB RAM, but surely that's enough to make it run smoothly, it was certainly never an issue with OS 10.4.
The amount of memory you have does not have a direct correlation with system speed. If you are routinely dipping into virtual memory, that can slow down your system - and therefore, adding more physical memory can give the appearance of "adding" speed. If speed is a problem during startup or shutdown (when no programs are running), it's not a memory related problem as Leopard can run quite comfortably in 1GB of RAM by itself.

My guess would be that you have 3rd party programs running that might not be fully Leopard complaint. Have you checked your Login Items to see what's starting up at boot time? Did you do a clean install or a basic upgrade? Most people report far better success with a clean or archive & install.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
stevo-m

stevo-m is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The amount of memory you have does not have a direct correlation with system speed. If you are routinely dipping into virtual memory, that can slow down your system - and therefore, adding more physical memory can give the appearance of "adding" speed. If speed is a problem during startup or shutdown (when no programs are running), it's not a memory related problem as Leopard can run quite comfortably in 1GB of RAM by itself.

My guess would be that you have 3rd party programs running that might not be fully Leopard complaint. Have you checked your Login Items to see what's starting up at boot time? Did you do a clean install or a basic upgrade? Most people report far better success with a clean or archive & install.
Cheers for your reply. I have now done an 'archive and install', and have noticed that the speed is pretty much okay when I'm using my machine generally, however the start-up and shut-down procedures still take a lot longer than they ever did while I was using Tiger. I've looked at my Login Items and they are:

- FontExplorerXAutoload
- Microsoft AU Daemon
- iTunesHelper
- System Events
- GrowlMenu

I'm not sure if I can safely delete any of these. I did have Mail starting up automatically, which again was fine when I was using Tiger, but I removed it to see if it was what was causing the problem, and it hasn't made much difference.

Any help appreciated! It just seems a lot slower than it should be. The whole start-up used to take about fifteen seconds and now it's taking a good couple of minutes, sometimes more, by the time all the whirring stops and all my desktop icons, menu bar, dock etc finally appear.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I would think cwa has it right on the money when he says it could be caused by apps not entirely Leopard-compatible.

Just looked at the Growl forums and there are things on their end to update.

Same thing for FontExplorer X, here and here.

iTunes has been updated not too long ago (yesterday or the day before, perhaps?) so it should be ok.

Microsoft AU Daemon... isn't this part of Office 2004? It isn't a Universal Binary.

So those might be slowing down the performance.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Preferences Pane problem... | Windows Network »