New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Problem installing Leopard...flashing finder icon and question mark

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aholeinthewor1d

aholeinthewor1d is on a distinguished road

i am trying to install leopard on my 15" powerbook and when i either click the restart button from the install screen or just restart and hold the "c" key to boot from cd.. a light blue screen comes up and flashes back and forth between the finder icon and a question mark.. after it does that for a little it just continues to the normal login screen...i have no idea what this means or what the problem is that it wont start the install process..please help out....thank you
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Have you made sure our PowerBook meets Leopard's minimal requirements?

The flashing folder/question mark icon means the Mac cannot find a valid system to boot from. Which install method did you use? Looks like you will have to reinstall again: you would be better off to use the Erase and Install method.

I hope for you you have made a backup of your personal files...
QUOTE Thanks
aholeinthewor1d

aholeinthewor1d is on a distinguished road

hey thanks for responding to my post......yes my powerbook meets the minimal requirements...its the 15" powerbook g4 1.67 Ghz with 1gb of RAM......... i didnt even get that far yet to choose which install i want to do.....when the disk is in and i click it and the window opens i click install mac os x and then it says click restart to begin installation. then when it restarts nothing happens and it starts up normally....or when i restart to try and boot from the cd by hold the "c" key thats when the flashing finder icon and question mark appears
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Are you using a full retail install disk? My first thought is that you might be trying to use an upgrade disk for an Intel-based Mac?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The 'home' button. | backing up all my files than clean install? »