New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Dashboard not working after Leopard install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chris.

chris. is on a distinguished road

I have a 1.67 1GB 15" PowerBook G4 that I recently upgraded to Leopard. Everything has been working well and so far I like Leopard....but my Dashboard has stopped working.

The Dashboard worked fine at first, then a couple days ago I went to use my widgets and the screen just darkened and nothing came up. This happens if I click the icon or go to use corners(I have Dashboard set to top right). I tried adding widgets by dragging then from the Dashboard menu but the widget just disappears and nothing happens.

I first noticed this problem just after I added another user account to my Mac. I don't see why this would effect it but the last time they worked was just before I added the account(which I have since removed).

Anyone else have any problems like this? A search turned up nothing...
QUOTE Thanks
chris.

Bueller?

No one else is having this problem?

What do you think of me removing Dashboard completely and readding it from a friends MBP?
QUOTE Thanks
chris.

TTT!

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sorry, seems to be a isolated bug? Try an archive and install...
QUOTE Thanks
chris.

Sounds like it huh?

How would I go about this?

Archive and install as in the entire OS?

NM, I know what you mean. I'd rather not do that, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chris.

Removed Dashboard and readded, didn't work. Then found that the widgets folder was in the wrong spot so I copied it to the right location and still no dice. I could see they were in the wrong location after looking at a friend's Mac.

I guess I can try the archive and install.
QUOTE Thanks
Whalenman

Whalenman is on a distinguished road

Hey, I am having the same problem! I click the dashboard icon and the screen goes dim, but no widgets show up. I installed leopard and am pretty sure that they were working fine right after. But then I installed another user account as well! I didn't think there was a connection, but now that you mention it, that might be when it stopped working. But sorry, I have no idea how to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
chris.

Hmm, I can't verify that the user account killed them, but the last time they worked was just before I did this. Someone else want to try it to see if this is the cause?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hmm, I assume you've repaired permissions etc?
QUOTE Thanks
captaindan

captaindan will become famous soon enough

samething happened to me.
QUOTE Thanks
muse

muse is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am having the same problem with Dasboard; in Leopard.

I installed Leopard on release day and have not had any problems until Thursday November 9th.

Starting on the 8th, none of the widgets work in Dashboard.

The screens darkens as normal but none of the widgets appear. The widgets dock is available, but clicking on a widget or dragging causes the Dashboard to quit, and the desktop is back as normal.

I read the above hint about the System log, and I would like to post that information to receive help, but I don't know how to do this.

Thank you for any assistance,

Michael
QUOTE Thanks
chris.

I'm glad others are having a problem, now I know its not just me and most likely Leopard's fault...

I repaired permissions and it seemed to have repaired a bunch of folder permissions having to do with Dashboard so I got excited, but it still didn't work.

I removed Dashboard and my Widgets folder then copied them from another Mac, but no dice.
QUOTE Thanks
sixfootblonde

sixfootblonde is on a distinguished road

I have just installed Leopard and have the same problem too ( Anyone fixed it?
QUOTE Thanks
knotty

knotty is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem.

Dashboard worked initially, I added a new user account, then it didn't work.
It just brings up a grey screen. You can add new widgets, but they never get displayed.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well, instead of spending all this time messing with it, creating duplicate accounts and re-posting under different names, you could have done the archive and install as suggested above, multiple times by now.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Modify Finder Go Menu | Set files of certain type as hidden »