New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerBook - Error Code Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nitetygress

nitetygress is on a distinguished road

So when ever I try to download from my house's server, or from my computer to my 500gig external (WD) it stops downloading at random and gives me Error Code -36. This (according to the internet) means an I/O error. But I cant find anything that tells me what an I/O error means. I'm not able to even back up the data on my computer (library etc.) because at random, something will have an error code -36 and the whole transfer will be canceled.

I'm worried because my computer is completely not backed up due to the fact this started happening last time I tried to back things up and now it wont transfer things and what I had got over written and is incomplete...

Help!!
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

It sounds like a problem with your HDD. Usually you get this error is some sectors are damaged in your drive. The best bet would be to do a surface scan to check the bad blocks. Unfortunately, Disk Utility is not good enough for this. You may have to try it with TechTool Pro or DiskWorrior.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I dunno if this has a solution but the error message has been talked about in Jonathan Rentzsch's (a well-known developer for the Mac platform) blog.

Read the followup as well.

If these don't offer any solution, they will at least make you understand what is an I/O error.
QUOTE Thanks
Resident56

Resident56 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar error last night when putting all my music onto my laptop after doing a clean install. I really think it was the drive more than anything but all the data was eventually copied. Finder on average would crap out moving anymore than a gig and a half of information at a time.

13" Black Macbook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB of RAM, 120GB HDD, OS X 10.5

5G iPod Video, 30GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Space Analyzer | Leopard sleep issues »