New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - installing leopard on G4 ibook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hellfried

hellfried is on a distinguished road

will the dvd drive in my G4 ibook be able to read and install leopard's dual layer dvd?

My blog : Days of Our Life
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Yes. But if the iBook doesn't meet the minimum system requirements the install fail.
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork View Post
Yes. But if the iBook doesn't meet the minimum system requirements the install fail.
will this do?

1.33Ghz Power PC G4
1G DDR SDRAM

the reason i am worried is because when i inserted a friend's empty dual layer dvd+r into the optical drive it spat it right out. when i insert a regular empty cd, it actually ask me if i want to burn something onto it.

QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Specs look good.

Drives that can't burn the media will do that. They don't recognize the blank DVD, but when there's a header on the disc all is good. If you put leopard in the drive and it mounts, that should be a good indicator. I assume you can play movies that are dual layer?
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.26 4GBRAM iPhone6

in a word yes

i've did a fresh full install of leopard and my g4 is running
beautifully, and it'll be even better as i'm upgrading the ram shortly
as its cracking along with just 512mb.

no problems except and i had to erase and install which i feel is better than
and archive and install.

regards
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

thanks for the reply. will go ahead and install when i find time!

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfried View Post
thanks for the reply. will go ahead and install when i find time!
The reason it spit out the DL Media is because the iBook 1.33Ghz's drive will not write to a blank Dual Layer DVD. If you put the Leopard DVD in it will work. Is yours the 12" 1.33Ghz iBook? If so I have that very machine with 1GB Ram also.

I just put my Leopard DVD into the iBook and held down C. Installer came right up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard and Skype | Hard Drive Space Analyzer »