New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Goodbye to Leopard - downgrading back to Tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

D R

D R is on a distinguished road

I'm having some of those issues as well. What bugs me most is a password issue with Mail/keychain. It seems to forget the password I want saved. Make double sure to check the box to have it saved in the keychain.

Tried doing a repair in the keychain access, but that didn't help. Not sure what else to try.

The thought of going back has crossed my mind as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Voldeobum

Voldeobum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G3, iMac 1,83 GHz Intel Core Duo, MacBook 2,16 Intel Core 2 Duo

Yeah, I'm not going to install Leopard on my iMac, but am keeping it on the MacBook. MacBook is mostly for schoolwork, which is less important , iMac is for everything else.
QUOTE Thanks
israelvalenciac

israelvalenciac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse

robbym.. so you just bought it and now going back to Tiger? waste $129?... I'm sure Leopard comes with several bugs, but you can just wait for an update. I haven't had any troubles so far, I don't like the transparency on the menu bar, and the dock not so much, i can't tell very good whether a program is running or not, i have to take a good close look at the dock! but the dock can be changed, i've found a site to do that. I love the new Finder and Front Row, i use my MB for school mostly, don't use .mac nor Mail.app so i can't help you with that.. Good luck tho!

+Macbook; 2.16 GHz, 2GB Ram, 320 HDD, SuperDrive.
+Mighty Mouse Bluetooth.
+iPod Video Black 30GB.
+iPod Nano White 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I've got some irritations, but I won't switch back. The good out weighs the bad and the ugly for me.

Any bets on a 10.5.1 release before the end of 2007 though?

I have discovered another 'bug' though and can replicate this any time. If you watch an iTunes video in full screen, and have your dock set to 'hide', after you finish the video, the dock will not reappear unless you shut down or 'kill all dock'

Anyone else notice this?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

I had some of these same things happen to me. Apple had me install my disc and go to disc utilities/erase and than zero out my hard drive and install Leopard. It worked...so far no issues...

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Merged threads sharing same topic*
QUOTE Thanks
p1p3r

p1p3r is an unknown at this point

I just bought Leopard, and around these forums there's a lot of negativity surrounding it... so what if I install and it ends up being not so wonderful? Would I have to buy Tiger in order to go back? Because my MBP came with Tiger installed so I don't have a disc...

[ 19, Graphic Design student ]
MacBook Pro, 15.4"
iPod Video 60GB Black, iPod Shuffle 2G Green, iPod Classic 160GB Black, iPod Nano 3G 8GB Black, iPod Touch 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

you must have bought your MBP from a 3rd party... right?

You can (should) do a full bootable backup of your current system then install Leopard... if you don't like it you can restore from the backup.
QUOTE Thanks
p1p3r

... again sounding like a complete idiot, how do I make a back-up of Tiger? Lol
Thank you.

MacBook Pro, 15.4"
iPod Video 60GB Black, iPod Shuffle 2G Green, iPod Classic 160GB Black, iPod Nano 3G 8GB Black, iPod Touch 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1p3r View Post
... again sounding like a complete idiot, how do I make a back-up of Tiger? Lol
Thank you.
I didn't really read all of the info at this link but I'm fairly sure it'll answer your question and more ... Scroll down the page and read the paragraph titled:

Get Serious About Your Backups

Quote:
Now is the time to use your external FireWire hard drive to make a complete bootable clone of your current hard drive. The easiest and, in my experience, most reliable way to do so is to use good old Carbon Copy Cloner once again. The default settings should be fine--make sure that the "Make bootable" checkbox is ticked in the Preferences sheet, though.
QUOTE Thanks
p1p3r

What if I just want to make a copy of the Tiger OSX, not my entire hard drive (which is already backed up)? Is that possible? =/

MacBook Pro, 15.4"
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Leopard doesn't actually have to be any different from Tiger, so there should be no reason to need to go back.

Everything works exactly as before - the dock, folders, preferences. The only real things that are different are Time Machine, Spaces, Cover Flow and Quick Look and you don't actually need to use any of them!
QUOTE Thanks
p1p3r

I'm just concerned about 3rd party apps screwing up... if too many of them do, I may not be able to handle it! Lol

MacBook Pro, 15.4"
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
What if I just want to make a copy of the Tiger OSX, not my entire hard drive (which is already backed up)? Is that possible? =/
I know you can do this with the install disc, it may need to be the retail version though ... don't know about doing it without the install discs ...

It would be worth looking at say, eBay and pricing a 'Full Retail Install of Tiger', as this is the disc you need .... but make sure you get the right version ... there's G5 iMac and Intel iMac verions of Tiger AFAIK.

The retail disc is identifiable by a black label with a white X on it. I'm not sure if you need to be careful about buying an 'Upgrade' versus a 'Bootable' set or if that even applies ... I know when I recently bought a OS 9 system disc I had to be careful not to buy the upgrade cos the HD was actually empty with nothing to upgrade from ... it's little things like this that can catch you out if you're not fully informed.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
I'm just concerned about 3rd party apps screwing up... if too many of them do, I may not be able to handle it! Lol
You have the right attitude there p1p3r, from what I've read it's people who straight out upgrade to Leopard without first preparing their HD that *seem* to have issues (of course I may be wrong).

If and when I upgrade I will be disabling all my 3rd party apps and sys pref panes and possibly even uninstalling stuff to try to return my iMac to as close to a lean system as I possibly can ... also unplug any periphs except keyboard/mouse (lol).

That link I gave has some good tips about preparing your mac, pre- upgrade ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File Heirarchy Renaming Blunder, HELP! | ReiserFS »