New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - External Hard Drive problem with Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zmckindles

zmckindles is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook Intel 2 Duo Core.. 120 GB HD.. 3 GB Ram

Hello,

This is my first post here. I have an external drive with all of my photos, home-made movies, and documents that aren't on my macbook. I backed everything up the night before installing leopard, and now when I try to connect my external drive, it is not shown on my desktop. The computer doesn't even recognize I have connected anything to it. The drive is lighting up, so I know the chord is connected. I looked in the system profiler and it showed my hard drive connected via usb, but I couldn't do anything to get the computer to read it. Any ideas? I tried looking around the site, but didn't seem to find anything where the external drive wasn't even being seen. (I also checked with disk utility and it doesn't show that anything is connected. Only through system profile can I see anything)
QUOTE Thanks
KamileonX

KamileonX is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT

Check this thread out...

External Harddrive not recognized anymore?

KamileonX (Lawrence)
MacBook Pro 15" (Glossy) Custom
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB OCZ DDR2 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, 256 MB GeForce 8600M GT Graphics, Mac OS X Leopard v10.5.2
QUOTE Thanks
zmckindles

Thanks, will try to find a comp. running tiger at school tomorrow and check it out. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
jordansky

jordansky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 160GB HD

I just got my 10.5 CD in the mail, and I am wondering if it is possible for me to archive and install with less than 7GB's of HD space.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No
My upgrade install took 9GB.
Archive will take at least that, plus the back up of the archived Tiger install.

And you really shouldn't be running any OS with less than 10-15% free space unless you enjoy asking for problems, imho.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jordansky

jordansky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 160GB HD

Thanks, I guess I have to delete some stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
zmckindles

Ok.. So I checked out the link above and found a Tiger mac to attach my hard drive to, but the same thing happened on the Tiger computer. Only the system profiler will see that anything is attached, not the disk utility or the mac itself. Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to register Leopard? | No Logo during startup »