New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Just used MAC for the First time Ever.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zedhead999

Zedhead999 is on a distinguished road

I have been using a PC for the last 15 years until today. I just purchsed a MAC BOOK. After getting over the depression of wasting 15 years of my life with inferior computer equipment, I have some questions. Im running Mac OSX 10.4.10. Not sure wht the name of that version is. But my question is this. With the PC you have to be very vigilant with the anti virus software. I heard a rumor that virus problems dont exist with MAC. Is that true? If not what is a good anti virus program for my OS version. And for you long time MAC users any idea on the " essentials every one should have for their MAC. Not just stuff for virus protection, but just all aroung good and fun stuff to have on a MAC. Thanks for the help. Look forward to seeing everyone on the forums for a long time to come.
QUOTE Thanks
Dawson

Dawson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz iMac Core 2 Duo with 2.5 gigs of RAM

Welcome to the Mac world. You are running OS X Tiger, by the way.

There is no need for an anti-virus, so don't worry.

If you don't like Safari as your Web browser, try Camino. It's pretty neat.

The best BitTorrent client on Mac is Transmission.

And if you need to edit MP3 files, Fission is your friend.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Welcome to Mac Forums and to the world of Macs and OSX. If we can help in any way, just let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Welcome - glad to have you!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Zedhead999. Great that you found us! I hope you enjoy it here!
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

Welcome and enjoy. This is a great forum feel free to ask questions, lots of knowledge of people here!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedhead999 View Post
I have been using a PC for the last 15 years until today. I just purchsed a MAC BOOK. After getting over the depression of wasting 15 years of my life with inferior computer equipment, I have some questions. Im running Mac OSX 10.4.10. Not sure wht the name of that version is. But my question is this. With the PC you have to be very vigilant with the anti virus software. I heard a rumor that virus problems dont exist with MAC. Is that true? If not what is a good anti virus program for my OS version. And for you long time MAC users any idea on the " essentials every one should have for their MAC. Not just stuff for virus protection, but just all aroung good and fun stuff to have on a MAC. Thanks for the help. Look forward to seeing everyone on the forums for a long time to come.
Hi and welcome to the world of macs....it's a great ride...

That would be Tiger OSX your running...no virus to date...

I am a former pc user and believe me you made a great choice...

Not sure if you planned to get Leopard on it....I'd reccomend holding off on Leopard until apple does some updates to 10.5.1 ....too many bugs right now...

Have fun and nice to see you arounf the forum...excellant place to get answers...

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
Zedhead999

oops...Double Post
QUOTE Thanks
Zedhead999

Thank You for all the help. It seems like the MAC computers aren't the only thing better. The MAC commuity and users seem to be a lot different and a much more tight knit group. Happy to be one now. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I know the fact there are no mac viruses around has been covered before - but you can pass on a PC virus through email - although it can do nothing on your mac. I use the free ClamX virus scanner every now and then just in case.

Also - turn on the macs built in firewall - its in system preferences > Sharing.

As for essentials:

ONYX - a maintenance utility that lets you carry out the macs maintenance jobs manually - Free

Neo Office - I you cant afford or don't want MS office.

Linotype font explorer - if you need to manage a large font library

Firefox and thunderebird - you probably know about these already.

MactheRipper - for duping DVDs to watch at your leisure

One paid for must IMO is Toast - gives you much more than OS Xs own Burning utility.
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
Welcome to the Mac world. You are running OS X Tiger, by the way.

There is no need for an anti-virus, so don't worry.

If you don't like Safari as your Web browser, try Camino. It's pretty neat.

The best BitTorrent client on Mac is Transmission.

And if you need to edit MP3 files, Fission is your friend.

Camino was created by Mozilla, so it looks a lot like Firefox. All the same features..

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

By the way.... Welcome to the wonderful world of Macs, Zedhead999!!

PowerMacJ7's right... tons of knowledge on this forum! Don't be afraid to ask!

Also, check out www.apple.com/discussions. Great place to get answers to almost any question!

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost dock icons/ where can I get them back? | Photobooth »