Specs:
    Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iPhone 3G...specs in signature
    I am no longer an administrator? Huh?
    So I upgraded to 10.5 last week, all has been well so far I guess. I run Parallels w/Win2K. I've noticed since the upgrade that Parallels has not worked properly. Well in checking Parallels' website I notice I need an update. Fast forward, installing the update...I am prompted to enter in an Administrator username and password. In the past I've notice the username field is already filled in, but not now!? So I proceed to enter what I know is the admin username and password (my full name and pw), but it doesn't work. So then I proceeded to check the user accounts and it indicates that my user is not an Administrator of this machine.

What the heck?! I can't get past the username/password prompt to continue my upgrade. What do you recommend?

BTW, I did an 'upgrade' to 10.5, not a fresh install.

Thanks for the help!!
    Mac Pro, 2.66GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 6GB DDR3, (4) 19" LCD monitors.
    MacBook Air, 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2
    8GB iPhone 3G - Black

Specs:
    Nevermind, figured it out. Booted from my 10.5 DVD and did a password reset from the install menu.
    8GB iPhone 3G - Black

how did you boot form the DVD I am having major issue with this install for a g5

Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    pop in the disk
    you can now procede in two ways
    1) Click install OSX in the finder windows that appears after you put in the disk... this will restart your computer into the disk
    2) Just restart the computer while holding down "c" ... this will also allow you to boot into the cd

both ways should work

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

I had a similar experience with my macpro. Here is what I did. It was posted in the macfixit site.

"Re: Admin previliges lost.. [re: jmsuijkerbuijk_dotma]
    10/29/07 06:13 AM
    Reply to this post Reply

Received this advize:

Apple Support's official recommendation is erase and reinstall (http://discussions.apple.com/thread....eadID=1195737). But there's a better solution for those who aren't afraid of a command line, offered by macXORHacker:
    Here is the fix.....
    1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
    2. Press the power button to start the computer.
    3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and one of the following:
    the "s" key for single-user mode.
    4. Type mount -uw /
    5. Type passwd
    6. Enter new password (this will be for the root user account)
    7. Type reboot
    8. Enter Account settings and when prompted for administrator account and password, use the user name root and the password you just setup
    9. Check box for you standard account to administrate box
    10. If all goes well you are admin again.
    I will add to this, please DISABLE the root account after you do this, or at very least, use a good, strong password."

And that did the trick for me.

Specs:
    15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
    Quote Originally Posted by vlj9r View Post
    I had a similar experience with my macpro. Here is what I did. It was posted in the macfixit site.

"Re: Admin previliges lost.. [re: jmsuijkerbuijk_dotma]
    10/29/07 06:13 AM
    Reply to this post Reply

Received this advize:

Apple Support's official recommendation is erase and reinstall (http://discussions.apple.com/thread....eadID=1195737). But there's a better solution for those who aren't afraid of a command line, offered by macXORHacker:
    Here is the fix.....
    1. Shut down the computer if it is on.
    2. Press the power button to start the computer.
    3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and one of the following:
    the "s" key for single-user mode.
    4. Type mount -uw /
    5. Type passwd
    6. Enter new password (this will be for the root user account)
    7. Type reboot
    8. Enter Account settings and when prompted for administrator account and password, use the user name root and the password you just setup
    9. Check box for you standard account to administrate box
    10. If all goes well you are admin again.
    I will add to this, please DISABLE the root account after you do this, or at very least, use a good, strong password."

And that did the trick for me.

This is the same exact post I used to fix my lost admin problem. I was so frustrated after installing Leopard and finding out that I no longer had my admin account. This was a quick fix and now I am an admin yet again and am having no issues.
    Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.

Specs:
    Yeah same here, pretty easy fix. Good thing because I was pretty ticked when I found this bug, lol. I rebooted with disc in, held C until I saw the install menu, worked like a charm.
    8GB iPhone 3G - Black

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
    Thanks for the links, just did a archive install on my Macbook and couldn't log into my user account, save me alot of headache.

MacHeadCase
    Glad it helped out.

This for some reason isn't working for me I tried vlj9r's method above and also the Apple support knowledge base method:

Mac OS X 10.5: Administrator user changes to standard.

I check the box in user prefs to change my account from standard to admin it asks for the root password etc and all goes fine, however the moment I navigate away from there either by locking the padlock or logging off and back on again the "allow user to administrate this computer" check box is cleared and I remain a standard user.

Any solutions anyone??

Exclamation administrator changed to standard
    Hi, I've been reading all the solutions to the OS 10.5 issue where admin users are suddenly changed to standard. I've tried them all and they still don't work.

the one on the apple site says to select "other" in the login window... except there is no OTHER on my login, only me.

I've changed the root user password by using the Install disk, but it still doesn't work (using "root" as the user name and the password I created).

Has anyone found another solution? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Thread Information