New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - My Disk Utility Ate My Harddrive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

timmyj

timmyj is on a distinguished road

So i upgraded to leopard over the weekend and thus far have been extremely pleased. I went with the "archive and install method" which fortunately spared me the blue screen of death. But as i sat here with 15 gigs or so backed up from my old system i decided to secure erase it. 4 days and 500,000 files later it was still chugging along. I thought maybe i would just use regular erase it, and then use the disk utility to zero it out.
So i went down to eat dinner with 200 gigs of free space on my imac g5, i came back up an hour later and i have 0, i repeat, 0 gigs of space on my harddrive. I cannot even make a folder on my desktop.
Someone please tell me what went wrong? I need my computer back
QUOTE Thanks
gotham

gotham is an unknown at this point

if you have no space and nothing to lose format to Zero again. Let us know what happens
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

in future dont secure erase such a large file - it will take years.

If you are worried about the old data just delete it as normal. Let's say you have 40gig now left on your drive.

Go to disk utility and create a disk image that is, say 39 gig, it will take a couple of hours but once finished delete the new disk image that would have over written your old files.

If you are a spy or paranoid make a copy of a large set of folders to nearly fill up your disk again. Then erase this lot as normal.

All that overwritting is just as secure but with less problems.

Hope this helps - have you got a back-up?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What state is your system in? Are you able to log in?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Desktop not showing newly-downloaded files? | Leopard and cell phones »