New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Spaces on Mac OS 10.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Boomerang

Boomerang is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (white), 2GHz, 2.5GB RAM, 80GB HDD

Hi,

I have some trouble with SPACES. For example, when I open an Xcode editor with a C file in one space and another C file in another space and I then try to find a string in one of the files, it can happen that the pop-up window for the entry opens in another space. There are often these sudden jump to other spaces and I lose orientation on which space I actually am.
It is also confusing with eyetv. I watch TV in one space and my control to switch the channels is all over the place. Sometime I have to go through all spaces to find that control.
Somehow, there should be more consistency. When I work in one space, I'd prefer things to happen in just this space until I decide to switch the space. Popup windows should always pop-up in the space I am in, without jumps to another.

Maybe there are settings to prevent this but I haven't seen any in the preferences. Any help is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

I think spaces is meant to be application specific. Each application should be in one space. Btw, when you are in spaces birds-eye view (F8) you can press F9 to activate expose and all your individual windows in each space will show up...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Go to your System Preferences and open up the Expose & Spaces preference pane. Click on the Spaces tab and look at the middle. There is something called Application Assignments. You can force an application to stay on a single desktop using this option.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
husky123

husky123 is an unknown at this point

Do you think any third party apps will let us just keep certain dock icons for apps in certain spaces?

Right now Spaces just seems like a fancier Expose. I originally though you could have for example space number three just for doing keynote and have no dock and just Mail in another. I mean, I know you can do that now but I'm talking about different wallpaper, dock icons the whole nine.
QUOTE Thanks
Boomerang

Boomerang is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook (white), 2GHz, 2.5GB RAM, 80GB HDD

Thanks for the input.
The "Application assignment" feature in spaces seems to assigns an application to a certain space and is more of interest to those who really want to divide their desktop in such a way that certain things happen in a particular space. But personally, I prefer just a bigger desktop that is dynamically assigned. I was used to the extended desktop under Linux.
The bird-eye view feature on Leopard (on F8 key by default) is really a good thing. Thanks for that, goobimama. This missed that feature, initially.
This is quick and you can move windows easily from one space to another.
I put that feature on my third mouse button and it works like a charm for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Force Boot-Up option | Powerbook G4 »