New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How would I go about reinstalling?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jhorra

Jhorra is on a distinguished road

I upgraded to Leopard, but have since encountered some issues, and would like to do a clean install. I turned on Time Machine, and have been backing it up regularly, is that good enough to do a clean install, and be able to get all my stuff back?

The problems I've been having is that the dock seems to lock up sometimes to where I have to restart the machine. Also my internet connection seems to be having real problems, have the time my mail accounts won't connect, and my I can't bring up web pages.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Boot with the Leopard DVD, and then when the installer pops up, go to the menubar and in one of the options there will be "restore using Time Machine disk". I haven't tried it yet so I can't say but it seems to be the way to go.

On the other hand, I would suggest you wait till 10.5.1 to see if your problems are sorted out..
QUOTE Thanks
Jhorra

Jhorra is on a distinguished road

Well, I use my Mac all day for work, so network problems are a pretty big disaster to have going on. When will 10.5.1 be out?
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Time machine will help you restore to the point of last backup. But if you're facing problems with the current install, i would suggest that you try to check if it's a problem with any specific application etc otherwise on restoring the time machine backup is it likely to return.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

I dont' think Time Machine backs up any system files, so if you have problems then the Leopard DVD is the only way. It's not like Windows' System Restore where only the system files get backed up while your files are left to fend for themselves.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac HDD care and lovin | Problem with Transfer Between Macs »