New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Networking in Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

I'm having trouble connecting to other computers (on Tiger) through an ethernet network.

When I was using Tiger, I would click 'Network' on the side panel, click who I wanted to connect to and a username/password box would pop up.

Now, in Leopard, the computers are under 'shared' in the side bar and when I click it automatically connects as 'Guest' and am given just a single folder called 'Drop Box'.

Going to 'Network' in the 'Go' drop down menu just takes me back to the vew where I'm connected as 'Guest'.

What's going on?
QUOTE Thanks
almirr

almirr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

same problem here and in addition:
sometimes i will not be able to see network at all and the only way to connect is in finder menu i go to Go > Recent folders > [a shared folder on another computer] and this connects as Guest on that server and puts it under SHARED sidebar. on rare occasions when i can see computers under Network Connect As connects me as Guest whether I enter Registered User password or not. Also, I cannot seem to add a shared folder from another computer to PLACES sidebar, having to go through SHARED and connecting as Guest every time. The only workaround is to put a shared folder shortcut on Dock and access it from there, which is really only an extra step because Fan and Grid are very basic and if you want to access a subfolder you need to click on Show in Finder.

So as far as I am concerned Leopard went backwards majorly with this. I was happy the way Network worked in Tiger. Is it possible to roll back to Tiger after upgrrade to Leo?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Almirr, you'd have to erase and reinstall Tiger to go backwards, unless you have a bootable backup of Tiger, you do have a backup right?

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
almirr

no, i have the installation disks and that is it. i am probably not going to roll back though. i'll just patiently wait for some sort of update that will make networking work at least as good as in tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
wytey

wytey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.4GHz 4Gb OCZ RAM

in finder, press command + K, manually enter the share address, i.e. smb://192.168.1.123, it should ask if you want to use guest or something else.

hope that helps.

but I agree, looks like anything to do with networking, and they have gone backwards instead, trying to over simply things for the masses
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
I'm having trouble connecting to other computers (on Tiger) through an ethernet network.

When I was using Tiger, I would click 'Network' on the side panel, click who I wanted to connect to and a username/password box would pop up.

Now, in Leopard, the computers are under 'shared' in the side bar and when I click it automatically connects as 'Guest' and am given just a single folder called 'Drop Box'.

Going to 'Network' in the 'Go' drop down menu just takes me back to the vew where I'm connected as 'Guest'.

What's going on?
When you see the drop box do you see a button in the upper right hand corner of the finder window that says "connect as"? Click that and type in your user name and password and you will get all the files and folders you'd have access to logged if you were on Tiger.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
almirr

i get that i tried, but even after it asks me for user name and password and i type it in it still says connected as guest.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by almirr View Post
i get that i tried, but even after it asks me for user name and password and i type it in it still says connected as guest.
What PowerBookG4 said works here every time. I have many Macs on my network and it works with all of them and every time. Are you sure you are putting in the correct username and password?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard: Spotlight in Mail not working | Where has my space gone »