New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - What is this app?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikeflynn

mikeflynn is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've a recent convert (as of 4 days ago), and after looking in Activity Monitor, I see that there's an app called LaunchCFMApp which is using 99 to 100% of the CPU (its the only PowerPC app in the list). Overall, my CPU is running at about 50%. Could someone tell me what it is, and if it's not critical, how to stop it from chewing up so much of my CPU power?

Thanks,

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

LaunchCFMApp is what is shown when you run an older Carbon CFM application (there are lots of them still out there) and they will be pre-Intel.

What apps have you installed since you got your Mac?

The only way I know to figure out for sure which app is causing it, is to either reboot or stop the process, then start up any apps you have installed one at a time to see which one is causing it.

Some more seasoned Mac owners may have a easier way to tell.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Launch Activity Monitor again and in the upper right drop-down menu, select "All Processes, Hierarchially" ... this should show you under what parent process LaunchCFMApp is running OR whether or not Launchetc is the parent process.

There is a possibility that the name LaunchCFMApp is a generic name for another app altogether, either way it's chewing up too much cpu so we'll have to wait for your reply ...

I just launched Terminal and this is what it showed after I typed:

Code:
man LauchCFMApp
(all this command does is basically ask for info on launchCFMApp)

So, this is what the result of that command was:

I also found this gobbledegook about LaunchCFMApp:

BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual LaunchCFMApp(7)

Someone else here will have to decipher that info as I'm not up to that level.

QUOTE Thanks
Joe Diver

Joe Diver is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.

K...I'm not a programmer and am new to Mac myself....so take this with a grain of salt....

The above advice is sound, you need to find the app causing this....sounds like old code that is not fully compatible with Intel processors. PEF executables are not supported on Intel based Macs....and LaunchCFMApp is a little wrapper (sorta) that loads code segments into memory.
QUOTE Thanks
mikeflynn

mikeflynn is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone.

I've just installed a bunch of updates from Apple, and it seems that one of them has fixed the problem because it's not there any more!

I'll be wary for its return though...

Thanks everyone

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

On behalf on bobtomay and Joe Diver (hope you don't mind, guys) I'd like to say that's great news ....
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Always glad when problems seem to fix themselves...

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Whats with the huge window shadows? | how to do a print screen with a mac »