Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
    Leopard install - HELP!
    Leopard came in the post today

So i stuck the disc in the drive, but when the installer got to the screen to select a drive to install to, it took an age to locate my internal drive. Then when it did detect it there was a warning triangle beside the drive saying

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume without changing your installation settings. Click options to change settings. The contents of this volume cannot be changed."

So i clicked the options button and the two options available are

1. Format as Mac OS Extended (journaled)
    2. Format as Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled)

Both options format the drive losing all my data and applications - needless to say I havent ran either of the options as i do not want to lose my apps.

So what do i do now??????

I cant eject the install DVD, to boot back to Tiger (or can i??)

Help!

Had to turn on my pc laptop to post in here, and that laptop hasnt been turned on in over a year!!

Load up the Disk Utility and see what your current drive is formatted as, options are usually, HFS (the older format), HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and UFS (Unix file system).

If you have external driver, you could image your current Mac, reformat, put the files back from image and then upgrade your Mac.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Also to get the DVD out, right when you power up the Mac and hear the startup up sound, Hold down the LEFT mouse button and keep it down till the DVD pops out.

I would though boot from the Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility and have it try to repair the drive. Report back what it says. Disk Utility is in the Tools pull down on the top bar.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pjhutch View Post
    Load up the Disk Utility and see what your current drive is formatted as, options are usually, HFS (the older format), HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and UFS (Unix file system).
    It is a Mac OS extended format - now what?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    I would though boot from the Leopard DVD and run Disk Utility
    Done that

and have it try to repair the drive. Report back what it says. Disk Utility is in the Tools pull down on the top bar.
    The repair disk button is greyed out - i.e. not clickable

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    Done that

The repair disk button is greyed out - i.e. not clickable
    Then there is a problem on the drive bad enough that Disk Utility can't go into repair mode. Are you booting from the 10.5 DVD by holding down the C key and running Disk Utility from the leopard installer? If so, can you still boot into Tiger? Do you have a Backup drive? I would say backup your files and erase or Partition the drive and see if it will install then.

Specs:
    Are you booting from the 10.5 DVD by holding down the C key and running Disk Utility from the leopard installer?
    yes

If so, can you still boot into Tiger?
    No

Do you have a Backup drive? I would say backup your files and erase or Partition the drive and see if it will install then.
    No backup but i do have an external that i could backup to if needed but id prefer not to go down that route. All i want to do is an archive and install upgrade to Leopard

Specs:
    I tried to get disk utility to create an image backup of the internal drive, but it failed. Looks like the only option left is an installation that wipes everything???

If i go down that route, what happens to the registered software? Obviously i can reinstall it (from the original installation disks), but when i go to register the apps will they nag saying that i cant register it as its already registered? (to me)

Geez this is the first and last time i go for a version one upgrade of any OS lol

Specs:
    Right, here goes, clen install with format - wish me luck

Specs:
    Well that was a success......NOT!!!!!

The clean install has failed aswell.

Here goes on the 2nd attempt at a fresh install of Leopard, oh why did i not just stick with Tiger, after all it wasnt broken (dont fix what isnt broken)

Specs:
    Good Luck. As long as you have the original install discs and serial numbers, all should go well. Keep us posted. I am just wondering if there is an issue with your hard drive.

Just read your new message. Really starting to sound like the hard drive has problems. Let us know.

Specs:
    Good Luck. As long as you have the original install discs and serial numbers, all should go well. Keep us posted. I am just wondering if there is an issue with your hard drive.

Just read your new message. Really starting to sound like the hard drive has problems. Let us know.
    Cheers and yes i should still have all the disks and serials

Thing is the disk was fine prior to trying to upgrade. I ran disk permissions/oynx etc last night as i knew Leopard would arrive today!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    Cheers and yes i should still have all the disks and serials

Thing is the disk was fine prior to trying to upgrade. I ran disk permissions/oynx etc last night as i knew Leopard would arrive today!
    That is strange indeed but it happened here last month with a 80GB Seagate drive in a Mac Mini. Was fine, I reinstalled Tiger and it went belly up without warning.

Specs:
    Oh well fingers crossed it will work this time.
    Looks like i could be in for a late night.

Specs:
    Dare i say it that its working this time?....

At least it seems to be, it has gone further than the previous attempts, approx 34 minutes remaining (fingers crossed)

Thread Information