New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - How do you like Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ninapants

Ninapants is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

How do you like the new OS? Haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

White Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ~ 80GB Black iPod Video 6th Gen
QUOTE Thanks
JeffreyLloyd

JeffreyLloyd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard

I love it, it's made my Mac super fast and it has a lot of really fun features!
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

LOL...sorry I had to laugh...not at you just at my thought when the words how do you like Leopard ran through my head....so far the jury is out....like many I am having several issues

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
MacBookie

MacBookie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook. 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 2GB ram. 120GB HD. 250 GB external. Mac OSX 2.5 Leopard

I'm a fairly new switcher. I got my macbook in june. I loved tiger, but leapord took something great and made it perfect.

Spaces+Expose=the best computing experience ever. iChat is very nifty, mail is fast(i actaully use it now) and a bunch of other things.

its not really neccesary, but it's very nice
QUOTE Thanks
mikeyman

mikeyman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone

I don't think its anything special to be honest, just installed it.
Looks better in pictures, should have stuck with tiger for a while longer i don't think its totally ready.
Some of my apps have stopped working

QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Mine's out for delivery. I'll be installing it this weekend. I'm actually looking forward to it but not the fact that my CS2 won't work anymore! Be months before I can upgrade to CS3.

I'm looking forward to time machine, the new Quick Look and Spaces.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Have not installed it yet.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

So far so good everything seems to work. I think its a bit quicker but its really hard to tell. The biggest problem I have seen is attempting to verify permissions its just very slow.
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

Took me 6 hours to verify permissions....I lik the appearence of Leopard and the features but miss old reliable Tiger...I'm sure apple will get this mess fixed....I hope...alot of money for problems...

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

6 hrs?? I thought it was a long time when it took 6 minutes. Sounds like you may have more wrong then Leopard issues.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Love the new avatar Ninapants!

So far I am enjoying Leopard. I have a few minor issues with it, and suspect they will quickly go away. x11 is broken, an issue if you're an X developer or a hard core X user. (If you don't know what that means, you probably don't need to worry.) Also there were some issues syncing iCal and the iPhone, though I found a brute force method that worked.

That said, I love Leopard. Once I figured out how to do a few things, the installation was easy and trouble free. I lost no data.

I can connect to work, including both Linux lab machines and Windows machines. It would be no good if I can't do the things I need to do. I can, and it is good.

Spaces is excellent, allowing you to have multiple virtual desktops. They did it right from what I can see. I now have AOL Radio. While not directly Leopard related, I like listening to XM Radio. I couldn't do it well on my Mac under Tiger. Now with the new Beta AOL Radio app, I can do it. What good is an OS if it can't support the things you want or need to do? On my dock I have stacks for certain groups of applications. My dock has become uncluttered.

Was it worth it? Yes. Was it hassle free? No, but then once I looked at how things are done in the Mac world, it was easy. Problems notwithstanding, I like Leopard better than Tiger, and I liked Tiger very much.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
MrRandave

MrRandave is on a distinguished road

I'm still getting acquainted with all the features they've added. But very nice to look at.

The only gripe that I have so far is the Spaces app they've added. On Tiger, I really enjoyed using VirtueDesktop for this purpose. Very customizable in terms of making your own keyboard shortcuts and also how you change from desktop to desktop by clicking on the edge of the screen. Pressing F8 or the limited shortcuts Apple allows is really a hassle. Adding Spaces activation to the hotcorners helps the transition from VirtueDesktop to Spaces, but I really hope apple makes it more customizable. I'd like to be able to switch from each desktop using keyboard shortcuts on my left hand (pressing the number keys limits a user to about key4, beyond that becomes a drag) while manuevering the mouse with my right hand.

Spaces is a downgrade compared to VirtueDesktops. But I really like how you can drag and drop applications to a certain desktop when viewing all of your desktops.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

I can grok Spaces isn't what you expected, BUT there is a fast way to navigate to adjacent desktops. You can use the arrow keys and one of the other keys, ctrl I believe, but I'm not sure which one as I'm at work using a *cough* Dell. -_^

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I personally love it, as does my brother. Spaces integration with the OS, especially Expose, makes it so much better than VirtueDesktops (though I miss the cube ). I haven't had any stability or compatibility issues.

My only gripe is that some of Quicksilver's features don't seem to work out of the box like they did in Tiger. I'm sure I could manually fix the problem, but I'm hoping an update is on the way because I'm lazy

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel1 View Post
6 hrs?? I thought it was a long time when it took 6 minutes. Sounds like you may have more wrong then Leopard issues.
New mac so I don't know what it could be...leopard expert has me doing a capture data and emiling it to him and than onward to development he said. Adobe flash player is part of this mess...

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard - New Internal or External HD | running executable on wakeup, login, startup etc... »