New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - leopard and ibook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hellfried

hellfried is on a distinguished road

will my G4 ibook (with 1G RAM) which is 2 years old be able to handle leopard? thinking of upgrading but do not want to end with a slow machine.

My blog : Days of Our Life
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfried View Post
will my G4 ibook (with 1G RAM) which is 2 years old be able to handle leopard? thinking of upgrading but do not want to end with a slow machine.
What speed is the G4 CPU? I have a 1.33Ghz iBook here. A friend with a 1.33Ghz last gen Mini just upgraded and says it feels as fast overall at Tiger plus he loves the way Leopard works.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

These are the official Apple Leopard System Requirements:

So it's looking pretty good so far!
QUOTE Thanks
hellfried

hellfried is on a distinguished road

thanks for the input. looks like i am in the green then!

My blog : Days of Our Life
QUOTE Thanks
TopDog

TopDog has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook / Mac Mini

Requirements only says if it will work... not how good it will work.

I have a iBook 1,33Ghz, 768MB RAM and are also considering upgrading to Leopard.

What I would like to do, is to do a fresh install of Leopard and iLife 08, then import all my old stuff (mail, iPhoto library, iTunes library, iWeb library) from a backup.

Is that possible? Any one done it? And will it make my iBook slower or possibly more responsive?

My battery is dying, so buying a new battery, Leopard and iLife... vs a new MB, I'm just not sure what I should do.

QUOTE Thanks
JeffreyLloyd

JeffreyLloyd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I'm thinking different... iMac, Macbook, iPod Touch, 10.5 - Leopard

Quote:
thanks for the input. looks like i am in the green then!
Let us know how it goes!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
Requirements only says if it will work... not how good it will work.

I have a iBook 1,33Ghz, 768MB RAM and are also considering upgrading to Leopard.

What I would like to do, is to do a fresh install of Leopard and iLife 08, then import all my old stuff (mail, iPhoto library, iTunes library, iWeb library) from a backup.

Is that possible? Any one done it? And will it make my iBook slower or possibly more responsive?

My battery is dying, so buying a new battery, Leopard and iLife... vs a new MB, I'm just not sure what I should do.
I have not gotten around to installing on my 1.33 iBook but will let you know how it runs when I do. I have a friend with a 1.33Ghz G4 Mini and he says Leopard runs at least as well as it did under Tiger and is very impressed. If I were you though I would up the RAM down the line as far as you can. My 1.33 iBook has 1GB. Should be fine. Do you have the install DVD's that came with the ibook? If so, if you do a clean install, just put in the Tiger DVD and run Optional Installs after the DVD comes up on the desktop and select what you want. Worked here for me.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Tried to put the Leopard disk in my work computer.... (Mac G4 Cube, 500 mhz, 768 ram)...........

The Cube spit the disk out - sailed across the room... and I heard choking & coughing coming from the cube.........

Guess not huh?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACyMouse View Post
Tried to put the Leopard disk in my work computer.... (Mac G4 Cube, 500 mhz, 768 ram)...........

The Cube spit the disk out - sailed across the room... and I heard choking & coughing coming from the cube.........

Guess not huh?

Did the DVD spit out? Does the Cube have a DVD drive?

By the way Leopard will refuse to install on your machine. I tried it on a G4 500 Power Mac. Said the machine was not supported. Apple says 867 Mhz G4 minimum.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I installed it on my 1.5 ghz powerbook and it runs flawless. It's actually faster than tiger was doing most tasks. I'm really surprised.

QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Did the DVD spit out? Does the Cube have a DVD drive?

By the way Leopard will refuse to install on your machine. I tried it on a G4 500 Power Mac. Said the machine was not supported. Apple says 867 Mhz G4 minimum.
That was a joke...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACyMouse View Post
That was a joke...
Sorry, thought you really tried it.

Like I said I did try it here on a 500Mhz G4 and Nada.

Got my Family Pack so installed it on my iBook G4 1.33 (Last Ibook before Intel) and with 1GB ram it's the best overall the ibook has ever worked. I am very impressed. Smoother and faster overall. I am quite surprised how well it runs.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Sorry, thought you really tried it.

Like I said I did try it here on a 500Mhz G4 and Nada.

Got my Family Pack so installed it on my iBook G4 1.33 (Last Ibook before Intel) and with 1GB ram it's the best overall the ibook has ever worked. I am very impressed. Smoother and faster overall. I am quite surprised how well it runs.
The G4 cube I have it work.......
And the sad thing is... they'll never get a new one...

**shutters** utterly pathetic
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

I have a powerbook 1.33ghz with 512 ram and it is handling Leopard great!

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« backing up all my files than clean install? | Leopard Imac Login »