Icons in the Dock changing???

When i pull the shortcut for my "Applications" folder down into the Dock in Leopard, the icon being used for Applications in the dock changes to be the icon used for Address Book - not the standard "Folder" icon

This is even happening if I change the Applications icon in finder to be some other custom icon.

Any ideas of how I can use the normal folder icon or another icon if my own choosing?
    or am i just being ultra dumb and missing something?

thanks

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Right now you can't, that is just the way it is. I'm sure in the near future someone will come up with a handy hack to do what you want. Until then you just have to live with it. Any folder put into the dock will be turned into a stack by design.

Specs:
    24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
    If you want the Dock icon of that special folder (or "stack" as it's called now) to look like the icon you want, here's what I did. (1) Do a Get Info on the special icon folder in Finder. (2) Select the icon in the Get Info window and Copy it. (3) Open that special folder and create a New Folder inside. (4) Do a Get Info on that new folder, click on the icon, and Paste the special icon image so that it looks like the parent folder. (5) Change the new folder's name so the it is first alpha-numerically; I just used "00" (that's two zeros) as the name. (6) Go back up one level to see the parent folder in a Finder window, and drag it to the Dock.

Since the first item in the stack is now the folder with the desired icon, it will appear in the Dock. If fact, the other items will appear to be stacked behind it, which actually looks appropriate
    .Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
    MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
    My site: see profile

Quote Originally Posted by MACGIRL34 View Post
    If you want the Dock icon of that special folder (or "stack" as it's called now) to look like the icon you want, here's what I did. (1) Do a Get Info on the special icon folder in Finder. (2) Select the icon in the Get Info window and Copy it. (3) Open that special folder and create a New Folder inside. (4) Do a Get Info on that new folder, click on the icon, and Paste the special icon image so that it looks like the parent folder. (5) Change the new folder's name so the it is first alpha-numerically; I just used "00" (that's two zeros) as the name. (6) Go back up one level to see the parent folder in a Finder window, and drag it to the Dock.

Since the first item in the stack is now the folder with the desired icon, it will appear in the Dock. If fact, the other items will appear to be stacked behind it, which actually looks appropriate

thanks for that!

great tip and looks pretty cool now!

Thread Information