New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Leopard upgrade ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fraser38

fraser38 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Base White Macbook

Received my Leopard disk from Apple today and have to say I am very disapointed with the way that it was packaged. I received an "upgrade DVD" not what seems to be the full retail version and it arrived in a white CD sleeve with a slightly shoddy looking Leopard booklet. I bought my macbook on 1/10/2007 and only paid 6 for this but the way it arrived was very poor indeed.

Can someone confirm that I should only have received the upgrade and not the full version ? - don't get me wrong I have installed it and all is working but I was expecting a nice shiney box - maybe too much to ask for http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mac...ilies/Gasp.png
QUOTE Thanks
Bruki

Bruki will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone

I got the same as you.

I'm in 2 minds about it, on one hand I only paid £5.95 for it but on the other the only reason I got it at that price is because I paid £800 for a new mac & £150 for a new ipod not to mention the software only 3 weeks ago.

But yea I was a little disappointed Im just wondering why they would bother? I mean how much could they have actually saved by just sending us a white paper envelope?

Anyway it installed fine & I'm really enjoying it so can't complain really
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Yes, you both got the equivalent of an OEM disc, not a retail disc.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

Mine came in a small box with the cool X and the new Leopard purple looking universe background on it. Had the booklet, apple stickers...etc

says retail on it...

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
fraser38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruki View Post
I got the same as you.

I'm in 2 minds about it, on one hand I only paid 5.95 for it but on the other the only reason I got it at that price is because I paid 800 for a new mac & 150 for a new ipod not to mention the software only 3 weeks ago.

But yea I was a little disappointed Im just wondering why they would bother? I mean how much could they have actually saved by just sending us a white paper envelope?

Anyway it installed fine & I'm really enjoying it so can't complain really
I agree but if other users who purchased after 1/10/2007 get the full retail version, I want the same. I feel let down as if "well he only paid 6 so here is your 6 worth" - I parted with nearly 800 at the beginning of the month !!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser38 View Post
I agree but if other users who purchased after 1/10/2007 get the full retail version, I want the same. I feel let down as if "well he only paid 6 so here is your 6 worth" - I parted with nearly 800 at the beginning of the month !!
But when you get a new Mac, you don't get a retail version of the OS (which can be installed on any machine). You only get one for the Mac you bought.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Payment was for Shipping and not the OS itself.
QUOTE Thanks
fraser38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
The Payment was for Shipping and not the OS itself.
Didn't know that and listen I'm not complaining my god I got it for nothing !! but I was just expecting something better from Apple but the OS is working very well

Thanks for the input
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I know, was just letting people know in case.
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

I was also a little let down. I recieved mine today and thought I was gonna get a hologram box or something. Instead it came in a brown envelope via usps. I paid $10.50 for shipping when it only cost $3.00 or so to ship this way.

Oh well, it installed flawlessly and I'm using it right now...

T
QUOTE Thanks
55ovalcharlie

55ovalcharlie is on a distinguished road

i just got the little envelope too!
oh well, just think of all those trees you are saving in reduced packaging
QUOTE Thanks
amrk47

amrk47 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM

that is weird
i got mine for $10 as well And i was expecting the box
QUOTE Thanks
jrichard012

jrichard012 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP and iMac; 2 iPhones 4G; 2 iPADS.

Perhaps the key here is that for those who paid the full retail price, got the nice marketing presentation. Since some paid substantially less, they received the lesser version. Just a guess on my part. I know I paid $189 via Amazon and got the full thing. It installed flawlessly and is pretty nifty.
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Just look at my iLife 08 disc!

The audacity of them not giving me a nice shiny box!

Still, it's better than my iLife 06/Tiger disc... I can't believe how minimalist they are on that packaging!

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
frontheadlock

frontheadlock is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac, White Macbook, iPod Video

I got an iMac in late August. Do I qualify for any special discounts on Leopard? I know some people who bought theirs in October got a discount..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about using Time Machine with AFP Drives | Go Leopard! »