New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Startup Woes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kindlekoma

kindlekoma is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I'm fairly new to macs so I hope I provide everything you all need to know to help me on this.

os 10.4.10
PowerMac G5 dual 2.7ghz
4.5Gb RAM
2x 250Gb HD

The computer was working perfectly on Friday, shut down over the weekend and turned it on this morning and all the problems started.

The mac makes it to the desktop, loads my wallpaper, the dock, the menu bar minus the time and volume control icons, and about 50% of the time will load icons for HDs. And that's where it stops.

I can move the cursor around, but there's absolutely no response otherwise. It just sits there looking almost like it's completely up and running (minus the time and volume icons on the menu bar) and that's it.

I booted from my OS CD and ran the volume verification on both HDs. They both came back reporting minor errors. I repaired both, and they came back successful. I restart and the computer continues to have the same problem. I've then gone back and booted from the OS CD again, re-verified and it apprears as though the disk errors return.

Repair again: Successful, Verify again: Successful Restart again: Same Problem.

I've gone through this cycle a few times and it seems to be pretty consistent.

I've run the quick hardware test located on the OS CD as well, and that came back reporting no problems.

Should I run the extended hardware test? Is there something else going on entirely? Any info you folks need that I didn't provide?
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

Did you reset the pram

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
kindlekoma

no, I didn't. I don't actually know what that is or how to do it. Explaination/ instructions please?
QUOTE Thanks
kindlekoma

I googled it and it seems to be working. Thank you so much for the suggestion MACGIRL34!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac AntiVirus and Security | download folder »