New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - The Dock - Leopard vs Tiger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

OK, OK, this is a cheap shot, but as The Dock is virtually synonymous with OS X itself, I think this is a worthy subject in its own right.

These screen shots are from Arstechnica, saved me doing them from 2 MacBooks...

My beef is the same as the reviewer on ARS, which is that the 'preview' default on the dock icons makes them look ugly and unintuitive.

Applications Folder (Default) Leopard

Is that ugly or what? What's more there is no way to over-ride this, without using a hack.

Downloads Folder next to a Disc Image in the Dock (Leopard). Can you spot the difference?

?

So, Tiger

vs Leopard

Anyone prefer the bottom image?

This is not a Leopard bashing exercise... but neither am I some guy fresh from Vista asking 'why is it not the same'? I've been using OS X for almost 2 years (10.2 and 10.4) and this strikes me as rather an odd change.

Comments?

Original Article here

http://arstechnica.com/apple.ars

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mshale

mshale is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5

Yeah, that was one of my slight disapointments of 10.5. However, I believe it is possible to change them w/o using a hxie; however, I do not know how

Edit:

from about.com

Quote:
Customize the look of applications, documents, folders, and more by changing their icons. Here’s how:

To select the icon you wish to use:

Click on the icon you wish to use
Click on Finder – Edit – Copy
To change the old icon to the new icon:
Click on the icon for the application or file you wish to change
Click on Finder – File – Get Info
In the Get Info window, click on the icon you wish to change
Click on Finder – Edit – Paste
These sites offer free icon sets for you to get started:

Macbillboard.com
Lots of great folder icons, free for personal use.
Maybe it's not exactly what I thought...
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

I know. I thought the original two stacks looked ugly - documents and downloads. Then I created a couple stacks of my own. One is for work related applications, and the other is chat related. When they're fanned, they look fine! When they're in the dock, they look messy. Given I need to click on it anyway, I'd like a single icon that is informative. For my chat stack, an iChat-like icon would be fine. For work, a ball and chain would be appropriate.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I suspect some enterprising 3rd party developer will come up with a way to put the folders back in there without making a stack. Until then, I can live with it.

QUOTE Thanks
RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

they look untidy
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

I don't mind the Fan/Stacks, I mind the default icon being an actual application. I'd rather a generic image, since you have to click on it to reveal the app anyway,

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Bruki

Bruki will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone

I really do like Stacks & I know its early days but I must say at the moment I prefer Tiger
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I like stacks, and I am sure in time we will figure out a way to make a default icon appear instead of one of the icons that are in the doc, but for the most part I am happy with leopard and I like the new way to resize the dock.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I like the Stacks feature, but I agree, the folders look FUGLY. That was the one thing I noticed in the preview shots. I don't mind the translucent menu bar, but those darn folder icons!!

And yea, I wish the Applications folder would have the Applications icon on it rather than show the Address Book. I keep thinking to myself why I have my Address Book in the dock...

I like the shelf and reflections though

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

its not that its one icon, its actually a stack which is why i guess they called it that.. look really closely make the dock huge and turn imagination on.. you can see other icons behind the one you mainly see.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I do like the older Icons in some ways on the dock, but otherwise love the new Dock and Stacks. Maybe down the road they will add a feature to let us change them.
QUOTE Thanks
MACGIRL34

MACGIRL34 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard

I love this:Leopard 10.5 Rainbow Glass Dock Kit

.Leo my mac kitty... 24" iMac 2.8GHz, Macbook Air 1.8GHZ/2GB/80GB, iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPod Classic 80GB, iPod Nano...
MAC CHAT: macgirl3434 see profile
My site: see profile
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGIRL34 View Post
It's pretty, but doesn't address the issue of folder icons being unintuitive. I am sure it's only a matter of time before it's addressed.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, that was my first complaint....

Here is a picture of my current Dock in Leopard.

Applications - Games - Documents - Downloads
Attached Images
File Type: png Dock.png (65.5 KB, 42 views)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Yep, that was my first complaint....

Here is a picture of my current Dock in Leopard.

Applications - Games - Documents - Downloads
Ok, how did you do it? Looks good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Archive and Install question | Simple Upgrade.... »