New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Upgrade memory before/after Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

groggy23

groggy23 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"

Currently running Tiger with 1g of Corsair value memory, going to be upgrading to another 1g stick, same module. Should I upgrade before or after installing Leopard, or would it matter? I plan on doing an erase and install.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

You can upgrade RAM any time. I saw something that said 512M would work with Leopard. 1G should be fine. 2G would probably be better, depending on your needs, but when you do it is up to you.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

As mathogre suggested you can upgrade the RAM at anytime. I would do one thing at a time thou. Either upgrade the RAM and make sure your system is working fine or up grade the operating system making sure it is working fine, then upgrade the RAM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

Ok, that's what I figured. Thanks guys. Yeah, I've been meaning to throw in another stick in there. I can believe how much memory prices change. Last year when I bought the memory was about 90ish per stick, now it dropped to 30ish w/ 10 rebate.

Anyway, I'll probably throw in the memory stick in there first and let the system run make sure everything checks out ok.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

i'm running leopard with 1GB of ram and some things are a little laggy, but it otherwise runs fine. i would advise 2GB, but 1 will be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

It doesn't matter when you stick in the memory.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe it does matter when you install memory. If the memory is bad, you install and then upgrade the OS. Then you have to figure out where the problem lays, is the install of the OS or is it bad memory. I believe that is better to have a stable running system, before you install memory.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
groggy23

What I plan to do is install the memory first, run some programs, and lastly run the diagnostics to be sure the memory checks out ok. Then upgrade to Leopard, or clean install rather.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

If it makes no difference to you, get the RAM 1st.

Why?

Because the upgrade will run quicker...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So far Time Machine is a Big disappointment. | Mac AntiVirus and Security »