Question View actual files of a DVD on a Mac
    Hi! A few friends and I have created a DVD movie for a history project and have added extra files (presentations, web pages etc) to the disc alongside the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files in a folder called BONUS. (It all works!)

I'm writing up some instructions for how to access these "bonus files" and would like to know how you access the actual files of a DVD on a Mac. I dunno what happens on a Mac, but I use Windows and when you double-click on the icon of a disc in Computer it plays the DVD. To get to the actual files you've gotta right-click the disc and select "Open". Anyone tell me how you access the actual files if you're using a Mac?

Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm going on about, but I've never properly used a Mac before. And the thread prefix is just one I selected at random because I dunno what it's for, sorry.

Thanks

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    It just shows up as a optical disk. You can navigate it like any other drive.

I suspect most OS X users have it set up so that when they insert a movie DVD, DVD Player loads the movie just like a standalone DVD player.

What ever you do, find a Mac and go through your instructions to prove it works as expected. If the bonus stuff is just standard web type content and the links are references I would think it would work fine. If you have to, find a Mac dealer and bring a copy of your disc.

I see...
    Thanks for the reply

So the icon just appears on the desktop and you just double-click it to view the VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS and BONUS folders?

I was gonna go to the Apple shop in the city centre, but I can't get there by Tuesday and that's when the project's due. I don't think I mentioned, but we're gonna burn a copy of the disc for everyone in the class and I know of at least 3 people that use Macs (two Macbook users and an iMac user).

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Yes, the disc shows up on the desktop. They also show up in the side bar of a Finder window like below. The one with the blue bar to the left is Tiger. The one with purple to the left and top is Leopard. The views are in column format, my preference.

Any double clicking the desktop icon or navigating via the finder are you options.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking Thanks!
    Okay, this is what I've got as the cover for our CD (we were gonna do a nice cover with a photo or something, but printing it 24 times would've used loadsa ink).

Does that sound alright? I went to Apple's website on how to open the finder and it said to double-click the hard disk so I put that... it's probably the long way of doing things but it'll still work won't it? I've just printed all the copies so I hope so, lol.

Thanks for all the help so far, the pictures really helped too .

Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    You can "open the finder" by double clicking the "Korean War" DVD icon on the desktop; that will take you straight to the VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS & BONUS folders.
    Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.

Specs:
    By the way, do you know if all the PC users have a DVD application to play the DVD. That isn't normal. Are you in a course where you know that. That isn't normal for Windows, but is included with a Mac.

To play the disc on a Macintosh...
    Insert the DVD into your Mac's DVD drive.
    By default DVD Player will open and play the disc.

To access the bonus material on a Macintosh...
    Insert the DVD into your Mac's DVD drive.
    Open a Finder window or double click on the DVD icon on the desktop.
    Open the Bonus folder that appears in the 'Korean War' disc.
    Double click the default.htm file.

It's normal of every PC I've bought. Windows users have Windows Media Player installed (unless they buy the N edition). Most PCs shipped from Dell and a lot of vendors come with the codecs to play DVDs and Vista Home Premium & Ultimate come with them out-of-the-box (finally!). I did include a "help" page in the project which points to a free codec package for anyone having trouble.

Thanks for all the help

Thread Information