New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Removing a USB drive without ejecting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tyson0016

tyson0016 is on a distinguished road

Is it possible for OS X to let me remove a USB flash drive without first ejecting it and without receiving the device removal warning?

I have a Macbook Pro and a Windows desktop PC that I regularly use a USB flash drive with. In Windows I have no trouble just pulling the drive when I'm done with it, but in OS X I have to manually eject the drive before removal or I get the typical warning about removing without first ejecting.

Does it really hurt anything to remove a drive from under OS X without ejecting? If not, is there a way to disable the warning that pops up every single time? I always wait for any read/write to finish before I remove it so I don't see how that would hurt a thing.

It just becomes time consuming and annoying as I'm having to stop and wait to eject all throughout the day. (I use this thing a lot!)
QUOTE Thanks
Faustous

Faustous is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.2 ghz

Back in Tiger, I removed a 2gb drive without ejecting. I still have it... it just doesn't do anything anymore.

I wouldn't risk it. Watch the activity lights on your key when you eject and then watch them on a PC when you tell it to disconnect. OS X is doing something hardcore.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It's not a good idea, because it could potentially lead to a corrupted disk or incomplete files. Ejecting it lets the Mac finish any activity in progress.

Similarly you shouldn't disconnect a device from a Windows PC without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" command.
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

Yes, I understand the risks, which is why I say I wait for any operations to complete (I wait for the drive light to stop flashing). Despite the risk, I'm not dealing with anything I can't stand to lose but I am dealing with copying small files back and forth several times a day. Windows at least lets me do it my way without nagging me about it and I was hoping OS X would do the same.

Is there at least a hotkey for ejecting, rather than alt-clicking or dragging the drive icon to the trash?

I'm just looking to cut down on steps in what's already a repetitive task.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

The keyboard shortcut for ejecting is command+E.
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

Does command-E do if you have multiple removal drives attached? Eject everything at once?

Thanks for all the info, BTW.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Quote:
Does command-E do if you have multiple removal drives attached? Eject everything at once?
It only removes the volume which you selected.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson0016 View Post

Thanks for all the info, BTW.
Cmd+E will Eject whatever drive is highlighted... even multiple drives.
QUOTE Thanks
sprite

Location: Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aarhus, Denmark
sprite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD

Quote:
In Windows I have no trouble just pulling the drive when I'm done with it
Sure, you have no trouble doing it until you wipe your data. It's not just about the drive being in use, but also that it is powered, and so you can cause a surge! Be careful
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine-Network drives? what size hard drive? | Just got off the phone with Apple Support »