Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Any idea why Internet Explorer constantly closes down? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/81618-any-idea-why-internet-explorer-constantly-closes-down.html)

NHB_MMA 10-23-2007 11:24 PM

Any idea why Internet Explorer constantly closes down?

I often use Safari, but have an online tutorial program that require IE, but it constantly gets an error message and closes down after a few pages. Any idea why or has anyone experienced such trouble?

baggss 10-23-2007 11:48 PM

In general, I'd say because it is an old App that is a serious POS. In specific, I have no idea.

NHB_MMA 10-23-2007 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggss (Post 511375)
In general, I'd say because it is an old App that is a serious POS. In specific, I have no idea.

It's a PowerMac G4 purchased in 2003. Actually, I love it and it gives me very few problems. I still use Windows everyday and have two Windows PCs in addition, but this computer really exposed me to how awesome Macs are for reliable use. I can count the number of times Safari has ever closed down on me on one hand. I'd need two hands for how many times IE shut down on me last night alone. :Grimmace:

technologist 10-24-2007 12:22 AM

The only thing I can suggest is to use Safari, enable the Safari debug menu*, and then use it to set Safari's user agent to Internet Explorer. Sometimes this will trick the site into letting you in.

(*Be careful when entering Terminal commands)

baggss 10-24-2007 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHB_MMA (Post 511378)
It's a PowerMac G4 purchased in 2003. Actually, I love it and it gives me very few problems. I still use Windows everyday and have two Windows PCs in addition, but this computer really exposed me to how awesome Macs are for reliable use. I can count the number of times Safari has ever closed down on me on one hand. I'd need two hands for how many times IE shut down on me last night alone. :Grimmace:

I meant that Internet Explore was an old Application and a POS, not your machine.

Kevriano 10-24-2007 03:22 AM

I'd say it's because it 's a big pile of poo of a browser.
Get Firefox and use that. Most sites that ask for IE work fine on it.

MacHeadCase 10-24-2007 06:09 AM

Not only is Internet Exploder an old and crummy browser, it isn't secure for surfing either: it's full of security holes.

PapaNoHair 10-24-2007 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHB_MMA (Post 511368)
I........ IE, but it constantly gets an error message and closes down after a few pages. Any idea why.......

Because it is made by Microsoft???? ;D

bobtomay 10-24-2007 07:37 AM

Old, as in IE 5, if you are using MS's Mac version of IE.
The typical website today that requires IE for access, also requires IE 6 or 7 and would not work on a windows box with IE 5 either.
And MS decided with IE 5 not to continue working on it's browser for Mac's.