New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Just bought an imac a few months ago... is Leopard worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jon Fitzgerald

Jon Fitzgerald is on a distinguished road

I only purchased my Imac a few months ago, last run of the white version.

I'm finally getting the hang of Tiger and like it as an operating system. But my question is will Leopard be worth it?

Sure it looks prettier and has some handy features but it doesn't seem to be life changing software that justifies me spending even more cash. I watched the movie (well bits of it as it was huge!), and I couldn't see much more than minor tweaks or cosmetic redesign.

Is it worth seriously considering buying the upgrade if you've recently purchased?

Any feedback or opinions on this would be much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
Bill S

Bill S is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro 2.66

The biggest improvement that I see is the ability to preview documents and photos in finder. It was odd to me that you can not easily thumbnail a photo from Finder.

I also like the built in backup to an external drive. The way it automatically sames backwards in time using a external drive is great.

I will probably upgrade in a couple months. I will monitor boards like this to see if there are any bugs then take the plunge.

Bill S
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Nobody needs it at the moment, and it's up to you to decide if you want it. If you don't find anything worthwhile about it, there's no point wasting your money!

It will be a requirement however in the next couple of years as programs eventually requiring 10.5 appear.
QUOTE Thanks
Jon Fitzgerald

Jon Fitzgerald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
The biggest improvement that I see is the ability to preview documents and photos in finder. It was odd to me that you can not easily thumbnail a photo from Finder.

I also like the built in backup to an external drive. The way it automatically sames backwards in time using a external drive is great.

I will probably upgrade in a couple months. I will monitor boards like this to see if there are any bugs then take the plunge.
I agree that thumbnails in finder was a suprise to me at first when i first switched form Windows. Also its a shame that there is no way to open one photo and scroll through them all in the same window like you can in windows.

An interesting feature that I'm considering is the improved foreign language options. My Girlfriend is Russian and it now offers better Russian support for example.

I guess I will end up waiting a few months also to let the waters clear so to speak and let Apple address any issues that arise immediately.
QUOTE Thanks
ivnj

ivnj is on a distinguished road

I'm on 10.3 right now and I have thumbnails in finder.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading to Leopard | Odd Jobs »