New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Grey screen of death?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mapexvenus

mapexvenus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD

I bought a Macbook Pro a couple of weeks ago. Today something happened that gave me an unpleasant flashback of my Windows days. I was in the middle of something when the screen went grey and a message asking me to restart the computer appeared. It said something to the effect of using the power key to shut down and restart the computer.

Does this happen often?

I am an Apple customer, not a fanboy.
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

It should not. What happen, in Unix language, is called a Kernel Panic. Have you added anything new lately, for example Memory?
QUOTE Thanks
ChaePod

ChaePod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January

Yes, if you have added 3rd party RAM (RAM that did NOT come from Apple) it may cause this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
mapexvenus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaePod View Post
Yes, if you have added 3rd party RAM (RAM that did NOT come from Apple) it may cause this problem.
Yes, as a matter of fact I replaced the 2 GB that it came with and put in 4 GB from Patriot. The specs are what were recommended (RAM type, etc.). Why should this cause a problem? The Macbook Pro guide didn't say I should replace it with a brand that was the same as the one on the machine (which BTW, is Samsung).

QUOTE Thanks
mapexvenus

Awesome! Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to let you know if it worked.

QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernicejuach View Post
oh don't worry about it man! the thing is that memory manfactured by third party designers have a fitting problem that cause the connection that lets the computer recognize the memory fail at times. just pour some water around the area you're going to put the memory in, let it dry up for a bit. scratch the edges just a tiny bit. then pour some water to cool it off. insert the memory and it should fit in perfectly causing no connection problems therefore running smoothly. hope it helps.

- bernice
I do hope that was sarcasm...

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

please dont pour water on anything.....the issue with the ram is not that it isnt to apples specs is that the ram is faulty...this does happen on occasion, send it backand get some new stuff
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

Oh jeez...

Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaePod View Post
Sorry but that is NOT true. As long as you buy the correct extra RAM module for your Mac model, there is no problem unless the RAM goes bad. But then again, there are brands which are better than others and will be more susceptible to work correctly. For instance, I have bought RAM from OWC and it worked very well, never gave me any kernel panics.

If your statement were true, Apple would specify this on their website and in your Owner's Manual that comes with all Macs. Apple refers to adding third-party RAM as Consumer Installable Parts.

If the OP is afraid the new RAM module is causing this, he should pull it out and see if kernel panics still happen or not. Most of the time, kernel panics are hardware-related but they can also be caused on occasion by incompatible software.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Arrival | Leopard discount »