New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

naftalim

naftalim is on a distinguished road

Can anyone here see themselves using Time Machine for their full backup solution instead of the ones used now (SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner etc)

I don't know if Time Machine creates a bootable backup.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

If it does what I need, I may. But without bootable backups, its kinda pointless, and I probably wouldn't use it.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

You should watch the guided tour of Leopard posted on the main Apple page. The part demonstrating Time Machine is pretty amazing. It's kind of like Windows System Restore, but a big leap forward Windows should have done a long time ago. I really could have used Time Machine recently when I found some picture I had are now gone. There's no way to recover them with those other programs, but with Time Machine, I could have had them back in seconds. My backup doesn't have to be bootable as long as I have my information I can retrieve somehow.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Who needs bootable backups? You get restore CDs with your Mac...all you need is a backup of your files.

Yes, it may be a hassle to reinstall everything if your hard disk crashes...but that's not a very common occurrence. Having up-to-date backups of your files is a much greater problem for most people.
QUOTE Thanks
amrk47

amrk47 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM

i hope there is a way to completely disable time machine
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrk47 View Post
i hope there is a way to completely disable time machine
It's just an application you can choose to use or not use. If you plug in an external disk, you'll be asked if you want to use it with Time Machine, but after that you probably won't be asked again.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I might use Time Machine only for some type of files like some homework I'd be doing or graphic arts stuff I work on but I wouldn't count on it for a full backup strategy.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I'll be getting a NAS soon, so if possible, I might get all of the Macs on my network to use that for Time Machine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard | Should I wait until the 26th? »