New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - my dog chewed my mac os and imovie cd's (help me)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gurhanda

gurhanda is on a distinguished road

Hi
you all guys must be laughing but ya my idiot dog chew up my mac os cd's and imovie cd. fortunately i have back up all files in my external hard drive(mac os file system). now problem is that i have files but my imac do not have burner. i have burner in my laptop but it has windows xp. so i cant use the file system so what i did- i google around and downloaded a application through which i can access HFS file system in windows xp. but i dont know how to burn them again because when ever i try to burn them - ultra ISO wont let me do & gives error and eject the CD. i spent 50$ on them and got big time stuck with it. what should i do. ill kill my dog if nothing happen.
QUOTE Thanks
CArmstrong

CArmstrong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB

Well what error is Ultra ISO giving you? Have you tried burning using any other program (like the built-in burner in XP)? Give us more details so we can try to help.

"Excuse me, does this effectively hide my thunder?" - Tobias Fünke, Arrested Development
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurhanda View Post
Hi
you all guys must be laughing but ya my idiot dog chew up my mac os cd's and imovie cd.

*Snip*

ill kill my dog if nothing happen.
A dog will play with whatever is available to play with. What were your CDs doing lying around and easy to reach for the dog? Storing your data means just that: keep it in a safe place. If it was accessible to a dog, unless your dog can fly or open drawers or pick apart a bookcase or shelf, I think you didn't do what you were supposed to.

As for asking how to burn copies of your CDs, correct me if I'm wrong but if the original media is really damaged like you claim, how in the world are the copies going to be any better?

So either you take your responsibilities and buy copies off of eBay or ask somewhere else for this stuff since you obviously haven't read the forum rules:

Quote:
4- Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs.
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

It's true it's the TS's own responsibility to keep the CDs safe, but I understand he backed up said CDs to his external drive (obviously before they were chewed), and now he wants to burn them back. Unless this is considered illegal as well I suggest you read the post before assuming something else is going on. Also, I don't believe windows' burn tool can burn images...

Back on topic, first of all, don't kill your dog. Second, what file type are the CD images? As CArmstrong said, what error message do you get?

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge64 View Post
It's true it's the TS's own responsibility to keep the CDs safe, but I understand he backed up said CDs to his external drive (obviously before they were chewed), and now he wants to burn them back. Unless this is considered illegal as well I suggest you read the post before assuming something else is going on.
*Snip*
Well the OP did post:

Quote:
i have back up all files in my external hard drive(mac os file system)
If that means he backed up his install CDs, great but I'd say it's kinda cryptic: I thought he meant he made a backup of his system files. If I assumed wrong, I misunderstood: but looking at that post I'd say it was easy to make that mistake.

Anyway I'm backing out of this one.
QUOTE Thanks
sunnyhanda

sunnyhanda is on a distinguished road

hi to all
well all i can say is that stop fighting with each other or pointing fingers on me, rather that i appreciate if you guys help to solve the problem. is it illegal to back up your data on external drive as fas i think so it is not. i have paid for it so i have the right to copy it anywhere unless i am sharing it.

and with matter of burning the cd again - ultraiso shows thats it is HFS file system all it can do is show the files but no writing.so i downloaded the application through which i can access HFS file system in windows then i extract the file on windows system then convert folder into iso format (windows compatible) and burn it as boot able (8x) but no success, imac wont even read it.
and for the dog matter i know what a dog has do - has do. but this can even happen to you as well. no one knows the future is it mate.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Geez! How many M-F accounts do you have anyway?

And don't worry about me, I store my install disks even my cats can't reach them.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

i trained my dog ta protect my install disks like they were her young.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ah such wise words, Fallooza! Very wise words indeed.
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

Oh I see you backed up all the files on the disk to a folder on your drive, rather than making an image of the disk. I think what I would do is use Toast on the iMac to make an ISO image, and then copy it to your laptop for burning. However, you probably dont have toast since your iMac cant burn, and Im not sure if it will work this way.

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Macbook is running slow | Delay, click and then sound »