New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Problems installing Tiger PLEASE READ!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mshale

mshale is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5

hi all,

i just bought a new hard drive, and cloned it with super duper and booted from it afterwards. everything seemed fine... so i went ahead and put in my macbook. it started acting funny immediately so i wanna do a clean install and re-install all of my apps. by acting funny, i mean nothing opens with it's required program see the thumbnail.

when i put in the restore disk 1, and boot from it, i get to the destination part of the process, and it sees my HD but there is a red exclamation point on it and the message below it says that it needs 15 GB of free disk space and that os x can't boot from this drive. the icon says there are 170 GB free.

Why won't it start the install?? do i need to erase it first? I'm writing this while booted from said HDD.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (802.3 KB, 37 views)
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I had to erase and reinstall my MacBook drive, as SuperDuper didn't do a complete image of the disk - in my case BootCamp wouldn't install because the drive wasn't a proper clone. I didn't get the problems you're having though.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Good God. What have you done to OSX???

:-)
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
Good God. What have you done to OSX???

:-)

Ha, it's crazy i know! I dunno what happened but i think that SuperDuper is to blame... it's no big deal, i did have to reformat the ENTIRE drive, not just erase the volume. What is described here is not all of it, if you are interested in seeing something even more strange and out-there, the have a look at this thread that I posted earlier.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Before saying it's SuperDuper!'s fault, I would contact the developer, Dave Nanian and see what he has to say. Describe the problem in the most details, tell him the setup you have and that you're also using a haxie. Members reading this will tend to believe you when say SuperDuper! messed up your backup.

Besides if it actually is a problem with the software, David would be more than happy to update his app for the good of the Mac community.

Shareware developers are usually very close to the Mac community and most actually reply to emails. And I like giving them a chance to make their apps better or telling me what I did wrong if it isn't their app that is at fault.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshale View Post
Ha, it's crazy i know! I dunno what happened but i think that SuperDuper is to blame... it's no big deal, i did have to reformat the ENTIRE drive, not just erase the volume. What is described here is not all of it, if you are interested in seeing something even more strange and out-there, the have a look at this thread that I posted earlier.
I think he's referring to your theme... looks like a cross between Vista and Front Row...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Before saying it's SuperDuper!'s fault, I would contact the developer, Dave Nanian and see what he has to say. Describe the problem in the most details, tell him the setup you have and that you're also using a haxie. Members reading this will tend to believe you when say SuperDuper! messed up your backup.

Besides if it actually is a problem with the software, David would be more than happy to update his app for the good of the Mac community.

Shareware developers are usually very close to the Mac community and most actually reply to emails. And I like giving them a chance to make their apps better or telling me what I did wrong if it isn't their app that is at fault.
I see where you are coming from... I didn't mean to make it sound like I disliked the software. I probably did something to screw it up, which is why it was no big deal. sorry if that got under your skin a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
I think he's referring to your theme... looks like a cross between Vista and Front Row...
It's nice isn't it? It's like... the best of both os's lol
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

No problem, really. It was more to let people know that whenever there is a problem with Mac shareware, developers are close to the community, are more than happy to get feedback from users and, for those of you that are from the Windoze culture, this might be hard to know or understand.

Since most Mac developers do this out of passion for the platform instead of doing apps because they know they just might strike it rich, maybe this video from two years ago might help you understand.

Evening at Adler, which was an event organized by Michael drunkenbatman Bell, a well-known blogger in the Mac circle (he's been silent for quite a while now and I miss his posts). It reflected the passion some developers have for the Mac, how they see their job and they answer questions from the audience, Chicago Mac users.

I posted a short article in my blog back then on the event.
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
No problem, really. It was more to let people know that whenever there is a problem with Mac shareware, developers are close to the community, are more than happy to get feedback from users and, for those of you that are from the Windoze culture, this might be hard to know or understand.

Since most Mac developers do this out of passion for the platform instead of doing apps because they know they just might strike it rich, maybe this video from two years ago might help you understand.

Evening at Adler, which was an event organized by Michael drunkenbatman Bell, a well-known blogger in the Mac circle (he's been silent for quite a while now and I miss his posts). It reflected the passion some developers have for the Mac, how they see their job and they answer questions from the audience, Chicago Mac users.

I posted a short article in my blog back then on the event.
Wow, I think that is the most useful post that I have ever encountered, and I thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Glad you find it useful!

The video has as guests some of the top notch shareware developers like Wil Shipley (Delicious Library), Brent Simmons (NetNewsWire), Paul Kafasis from Rogue Amoeba Software and many others.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File Recovery Help | cd drive keeps ejecting on start-up »