New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerBook - Powerbook G4 DVI: black on startup-at open firmware phase, screen comes on at loading

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tryemac

Tryemac is on a distinguished road

Hey. I'm experiencing a few problems with my Powerbook, but I'll post one problem for now.

I got my Powerbook G4 DVI 667Mhz off eBay a couple of days ago. This problem is that the screen is black during the first part of startup, at the phase were you should see the firmware stuff, or the BIOS display. I'm not sure what this stage is on the Mac. Anyways, the screen is black for about 30 seconds when it finally comes on when the OS loading screen appears. The chime does come on at the start, other than that you would have no idea it was on.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
MacKid

MacKid is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP LED 15" SR 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, NIVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB

First do this...

1. Locate the following keys on your keyboard: COMMAND, OPTION, 'P', and 'R'. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 2.

2. Restart your Macintosh and hold the COMMAND-OPTION-'P'-'R' key combination. You must be pressing this key combination before you get to the 'Welcome to Macintosh' screen.

3. You will hear the startup chime. Continue holding the keys down until you have heard three chimes.

4. Your computer's PRAM will be reset to the default values.

All you should see during start up running OSX is the startup disk and a bar loading the operating system (OS loading screen). It's normal that your screen is completely black for 20-30 seconds during startup. Remember that you have a 667Mhz PowerBook, it's going to take some time to startup. You also want to make sure that you completely update you computer via "Software Update" under that Apple pull down bar located on the top right corner of your screen.

Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
khemik

khemik is on a distinguished road

Macs running OSX do not display startup information such as people are used to in a PC. What you are describing is I believe normal. AS long as you get the OSX graphic with the loading bar graphic before you see the finder... I think your ok. HOpe that helps...

Jason
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i know my computer sucks but... | Help With an Issue »