New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - tcsh - questions about alias, dotfiles

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newdaddy

newdaddy is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm a newbie, trying to port my linux dotfiles to the factory-installed BST unix under mac OS X 10.4. I have set my default shell to tcsh and I'd really like to update my .cshrc so that it works with that. I have for example this line

alias lrrt 'ls -lrt'

When I launch a new tcsh, or source this .cshrc file manually from a tcsh prompt, and then try to issue the alias with no arguments, here's what I get;

<my_iMac_tcsh_prompt> % lrrt
:No such file or directory

I've also tried this;

alias lrrt 'ls -lrt \!*'

which has the same effect.

Note that if I execute the alias directly at the tcsh prompt, and then use it with no arguments, it works

<my_prompt> % alias lrrt 'ls -lrt'
<my_prompt> % lrrt
total 72
drwxr_xr_x 183 blah blah 6222 Sep 9 13:39 some_directory
drwxr_xr_x 5 blah blah 179 Sep 13 14:44 some_other_directory
[etc.]

Also, I am attempting to set the path;

set path=($path . /Users/me/bin /usr/bin /sw/bin /sw/igpp/bin)

When this is executed as part of a .cshrc, I get

tcsh: set: Variable name must begin with a letter.

This is encouraging as it shows at least that tcsh is the shell executing the commands, but I think the syntax of the set command is correct.

If I do a

< my_prompt > % which tcsh
/bin/tcsh

is what I see.

Any suggestions or explanations about what is going on here would be truly appreciated -

C
QUOTE Thanks
newdaddy

newdaddy is on a distinguished road

So, I now believe this has something to do with the way my .cshrc file is formatted. If I run vim and type the aliases in, one by one, then I get a clean file and it sources on startup successfully. Even cutting and pasting from the old, linux-imported file into a new vim session (with a new file) seems to work. But, looking at the hidden characters using vim (:set list) the end-of-line formatting looks to be correct.

Still a mystery, but at least I have a workaround-

C
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Hi, I just set up a minimal .cshrc to test this out. Here is what I put in mine:

Code:
alias c clear
alias cls 'clear;ls'
alias ls 'ls -lrt'
Then I launch tcsh via the command 'tcsh'. I get no errors. If I then type 'alias', I get this output:

Code:
[new-host:~] mac57% alias
c       clear
cls     clear;ls
ls      ls -lrt
So, it would seem that all is well... do remember that irrespective of the shell you are using, the commands (such as ls) are the BSD flavor not the Linux flavor, so the command syntax has variations. Check man as need be.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Great, glad to hear that things are moving ahead, and that mirrors my experience above.

It *sounds* like you have *something* in your original file that is throwing things off - rather like the opening directive:

Code:
#! /bin/sh
perhaps being pointed to the wrong place, hence there not being a valid command interpreter for it... I am stretching here, but that is what I would be looking for.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I believe that you want to create a file called .tcshrc. In this file you will place all the items you want to define.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook freezes when password set up | Master Password+Dumb Roommate »